Home Forums General Discussion Forum Kieninger movement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    townhallclock1947
    Participant

I recently bought a used movement for a grandmother clock. After checking it out I cleaned it reassembled it , oil it and fitted it back into the clock. It runs just fine except it chimes on all quarters 2 mins. early. What have I missed ? Can somebody help please. Clive. :?: :?: :?:

willofiam

Hey Clive, take a look at your minute hand, should have a square hole in the collet. This is made to be moved with a square shafted tool (could use a rat tail file tang). By holding the hand as close to the collet as possible, insert the square tool and twist in the direction needed, be careful I have had some that have been real stubborn, I have broke a few hands. Sometimes it is easier to mount the tool in a vise. Some minute hands have a hex built in so a wrench can be used. William

townhallclock1947
        Participant

Thanks for that info. It didn’t occur to me that the hands might need tweaking to suit the movement .

willofiam

@Townhallclock1947 wrote:

hands might need tweaking to suit the movement

Makes life a whole lot easier, I find these Westminster rack and snail movements easier to set up than the average American time and strike, most all of the adjustments are outside of the plates. Have fun, William

disciple_dan
            Participant

Hey, William. Thanks again. Even after more than a year, your post is still helping. I just put my Kieninger movement back together and it is working great. The only problem was the quarter hour chimes were off by 10 minutes. I was thinking I would have to move the lifting cam but I came to this site and found the answer.
              Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, And Happy Thanksgiving, God bless you all and your whole house, Danny

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.