Home Forums General Discussion Forum Kieninger Jewels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    estanek70
    Participant

I am working on a Kieninger movement from a grandfather clock. The verge is mounted in two bushing shaped jewels. One of the jewels is chipped. Does anyone know where I can get replacement jewels? Secondly, do you replace these jewels the same way you would replace a brass bushing? Thanks for any help.

arutha
      Participant

Hi,
        if you read back through the posts you will see Tmac had a little trouble with jewels, there are different types of fittings, dont just assume it is a pressed in type, it could be the wipped in type. If it is you will need special tools for removing and replacing these jewels.
        Look closely at the jewel and if it looks like it has brass rubbed over the edges then you will need tools for moving the brass back and once the new jewel is fit more tools to spread the brass back over the edge.
        As for where to get new ones, again if you read back through the posts you will find David came up with a company that supplies jewels.
        Paul. :)

willofiam

estanek70, I would be interested in seeing what you have there, can you post a picture? thanks, William

david pierce
          Participant

In addition to OTTO FREI for watch bearings, I found another source called JEWELBEARINGS.COM. If you can accurately measure the jewel you are going to replace, the supplier can probably find a match for you.
            david

tmac1956
            Participant

@estanek70 wrote:

I am working on a Kieninger movement from a grandfather clock. The verge is mounted in two bushing shaped jewels. One of the jewels is chipped. Does anyone know where I can get replacement jewels? Secondly, do you replace these jewels the same way you would replace a brass bushing? Thanks for any help.

estanek70:

That must be a high end clock! I suppose if you can’t find a replacement jewel, either new or from a parts clock, you might have to make one on a lathe. I seem to remember Stpehen Phalow doing that in a video on YouTube. If you’re not familiar with him, he is a brilliant German Watchmaker. He speaks pretty good English, but most of his videos use English subtitles. Here’s a link to his page. Sorry I couldn’t give you the exact video link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spahlow

Good luck!
              tmac

Bob Tascione

Hi Ed,
                If the supply houses haven’t been able to help then you may want to email directly to Kieninger. Pretty sure all parts are still available.
                Last email address I had for them is [email protected]
                You can also visit their site and use the search function. Not sure if that will get you to parts but may be worth a try. Their website is http://kieninger.com
                My guess would be that the jewel would come already mounted in the setting. Not sure about that though.

Good luck Ed,
                Bob

tmac1956
                Participant

Ed:

Bob gives the best advice and we are lucky to be able to have the beneift of his years of experience.

Just to follow up (if you or anyone should ever need it) here’s a link to the video that I was referencing about cutting a jewel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOgmvbOtjYk

Thanks!
                  tmac

estanek70
                  Participant

Thank you everyone for your help. I will do the follow-up and let you know what I find.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.