Home Forums General Discussion Forum Kerosene in Clocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    c.kelly
    Participant

Hi,
      I just got in two clocks to work on and found them to be wet with kerosene. One was so wet that the kerosene was actually running out of the screw holes that held the movement in the case. Earlier this year I was asked to appraise a persons clock collection and they said their dad kept a small container of kerosene in each clock case. Again I’m just curious here as to why someone would want kerosene in their clocks? I’m guessing they think the fumes either lubricate them or prevent rust. Is this just a southern thing or has anyone else heard of this practice?
      Thanks,
      Charles K

willofiam

Yes I have heard of this. Sounds like alot of dripping kerosene on those clocks you have, sometimes people will try to clean a movement by dipping it in kerosene, I wouldnt recommend that.. As for the small jar in the case???? ….I am sure it would stink AND coat everything allowing dust grit to stick to it all. It appears that was what some people did back in the day, I have also heard of using a chicken feather coated in kerosene to stick through the movement and do something??? not sure what though.

clockmanbill
        Participant

over the years I have seen many clocks with little vials of kerosene or some kind of oil in the bottom of the case. I have been told by the owners that the last “repairman” told them this would keep the movement oiled. Every time I see this now I make it a point to tell them this can cause more problems than just leaving the way they get it back from a true repairman. It reminds me of when you look at a movement and it has been sprayed with WD-40. A green mess. be sure to pre-clean before putting the parts in your good cleaner!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.