Home Forums General Discussion Forum K&D Staking Set Restoration Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    michael weaver
    Participant

I decided to buy this battered, bruised and rusted staking set and give it a new life. I even digitally transferred the original labeling information and had it laminated as you can see I tried to make it look brand new. I plan on using this for many years, so why not. I cleaned and oiled all of the punches and all of them are in great shape. I have a lot of duplicates left and I will need to order 10 from Larry of the ones that were missing to complete the set.

michael weaver
      Participant

More pics…..

michael weaver
        Participant

More pics…..

michael weaver
          Participant

[attachment=1:emnc9czu]image.jpg[/attachment:emnc9czu][attachment=0:emnc9czu]photo 4a.JPG[/attachment:emnc9czu]

gerene
            Participant

Very nice job! How did you get them so clean they look like brandnew?
              Congratulations!

Jan

willofiam

Michael, great job, there must be something in the blood that drives us to want to refurbish something, part of it for me when I go thru something it makes it mine by putting time and effort into it. Oh, and I am attracted to shinny things, like a walleyes are to my secret lure.
                William

michael weaver
                Participant

Thank you! Jan, I soaked them overnight in evapo-rust which is an amazing product. I then lightly coated them in a really nasty sewing machine oil. I just put some on a lint free cloth and rolled them through it wearing latex gloves then wiping off the excess. I can’t remember the name of it and I’m at work right now. I also used a metal dental pick to clean the inside of the ends of the punches. It was all a lengthy process that took me about two weeks to do. I think the time put in paid off. William, I can’t imagine using dirty tools to work on watches. I am pretty sure it would defeat the purpose as you know. Also, if anyone plans on doing the same thing I will mail you the label that I already had digitized for replacing the scratched surface of the original faceplate. It cost me quite a bit to have done but I will keep it in the family for free for you all. As long as you are a member of the forum and not going to try and make a buck with it. Thanks, Michael

tmac1956
                  Participant

Michael:

Very nice job. BTW, is that a Gibson mandolin in your pic there?

Thanks!
                    Tom

michael weaver
                    Participant

Thanks Tom and no it’s a custom 2007 Weber Yellowstone. I do have a Gibson among some others (I have a musical instrument addiction). I am having a new one made right now by Jacobson. He has been working on it since May so it will be here soon. Most people ask if it’s a ukulele, so you must know something about it???

randy
                      Participant

Nice job MIke
                        I use Evaporust on my K&D ( and other stuff ) also…great product !

Congrats !

michael weaver
                        Participant

Thanks Randy. I just found out about evapo-rust while starting this project. I really wish I would have known about it a lot sooner.

gerene
                          Participant

Thanks Mike, I will see if I can find Evapo-rust over here in Europe. I looked it up and it seem to be a really good product.

Jan

michael weaver
                            Participant

Jan, this is what I found for a distributor in your area…maybe.

Tramos Int’l N.V.
                              Helststraat 51 Unit 11-12
                              2630 Aartselaar
                              Belgium, Europe
                              Phone: +32 3 825 4448
                              Email: [email protected]

tmac1956
                              Participant

@Michael Weaver wrote:

Thanks Tom and no it’s a custom 2007 Weber Yellowstone. I do have a Gibson among some others (I have a musical instrument addiction). I am having a new one made right now by Jacobson. He has been working on it since May so it will be here soon. Most people ask if it’s a ukulele, so you must know something about it???

Yes… My dad started me playing the Ukulele at about six and it went on from there. I went to guitar and basically stayed there.
                                Tom

gerene
                                Participant

Thanks Michael, I will try to contact them. However, I will be on holliday for the next couple of weeks :D , so it will have to wait…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.