Home Forums General Discussion Forum Just to say "Hello".

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chicko
    Participant

I’m a total newbie to watches and clocks…though my father did like to play with them back in the early 1900’s. Maybe my closest horological claim to fame is that I was best school friends with Derek Pratt …..THE horological, (almost legendary as far as I can see), Derek Pratt. I still have a school notebook wherein, after Derek had helped me with some errant homework, the teacher noted,” 0/10…..same as Pratt’s”. Unlike me he went on to excel at his chosen profession. But, also unlike me . he has already passed away. Funny thing, until almost our last day at school, (British kids did not have a formal “Graduation” in those days), I had no idea he was even interested in horology. He and I also vied to be the biggest class dunces at mathematics. Reading some of the mathematical formula on this forum I’m totally amazed at how well Derek must have done in this area.

So, hoping to find help later with this as a hobby, I anticipate Bob’s course being of benefit to me, even if I never intend to make money at it.

willofiam

a hello to you Chicko, and yes, life is a winding path, like the wind, where is it we really come from and to where are we really going :D too short a journey not make the best of it ;) . great to have you aboard, feel free to ask questions and do not be afraid, there is a bunch of caring and helpful people on this forum. If you haven’t already… have a look at past posts for getting started, tools, others experiences ect…real good info. Have a wonderful day, William

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Howdy Chicko. Glad to have you join us. Ask away if you have any questions. Good people on here.

chicko
          Participant

Thanks, this sieems like a friendly forum. :-) Just one question….and I’m sure I already know the answer. I’m working on a nice old Anniversary Clock by Kern. The suspension spring should always be “flat” all the way down…right? Mine is like a spiral. Probably because it has been run off level. The Spring be changed I imagine ? The clock cannot be timed as the ball adjustment has no effect. …. I assume that this is the major part of the problem?

achipo
            Participant

Welcome, Chicko. Unfortunately I’m no use for advice, as I’m just starting myself.

willofiam

@Chicko wrote:

The suspension spring should always be “flat” all the way down

yes, no kinks and square, or perpendicular thru the blocks. A real good book on 400 day clocks is the “400 day clock repair guide” by Terwilliger, the main reason I mention this book here is that it has full scale suspension setup details, so if you get a new spring you can just lay the blocks and spring on-top of the drawings and match it all up, very handy. you can get by with making a scale drawing and some measurements before taking it apart. @Chicko wrote:

Mine is like a spiral

I should also ask, is the spring in a spiral form when the pendulum is hanging from it? possible someone spun it around a few times, dont want to turn them more than once around. My very first clock I worked on was a 400 day clock ;) . Have fun, William

arutha
                Participant

Hi Chicko, welcome aboard :)
                  Derek Pratt was a bit of a legend, the first time I heard about the man was in a BHI journal when it ran an obituary :(
                  here is some info on Derek – http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-industry-news/watchmakers/master-watchmaker-derek-pratt-passes-away/#
                  Paul.

mahlon
                  Participant

Welcome Chicko, You will find the people on this forum to be very friendly, and helpful. All will tell you, that there are no dumb questions. If you do a Yahoo search ( how to repair a 400 day clock), there are videos showing how to disassemble and repair these clocks. They really helped me :D . Look forward to seeing your progress. Mahlon

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

I agree with William. IMHO this book is a must if doing 400 day clocks. http://timesavers.com/i-8946315-400-day-clock-repair-guide-by-charles-terwilliger.html

Bob Tascione

A big Welcome Chicko!
                        You were very fortunate to have known such a brilliant watchmaker. The news of his passing several years ago was a jolt to many watchmakers, collectors and horological enthusiasts throughout the world. He was an incredible watchmaker and an inspiration to all that followed his work.
                        Thanks for posting.
                        Hope to see you up here often Chicko.

Bob

chicko
                        Participant

Thank you everyone….glad to be here. :) I’ll certainly check out the Anniversary Clock book. Right now I’m also working on an electronic Kundo…given us by another deceased friend. Same problem with the suspension spring….see attachment. This clock is probably about 40/45 years old, and has worked impeccably up until now. Any Canadians on the site have any idea who will supply parts without charging an arm and a leg for shipping and handling please?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.