Home Forums General Discussion Forum Junghans Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Yep, could well be Bob. My loose “theory” was based on the comment that other models, the same or otherwise, of Junghans clocks don’t have the same short pivots, and again, I’m guessing because I’m not a clock dewd 😆 But you would assume, that if all was equal, and that it did help in reducing wear etc, then we would have seen it on many more models?

Can these clocks be traced via their serial numbers/model etc to a specific date in time. If we had more data, it would help to see when in history we are and what was going on at that time..

We can see the effects of wars on many items made during those times, due to most raw materials being consumed to feed the grinder.
      Manufacturers had to be inventive in order to stay in business..
      Hopefully someone can provide a date to these models…

Someone said to me once, that it’s like eating a can of beans, then trying to guess which bean gave you gas 😆

Bob Tascione

Paul,
        If what I wrote makes sense to you then you may be in big trouble cuz I just re-read it and now I’m totally confused! 😆

Chris,
        When I said in the above message a few minutes ago that “I still believe that…” I was speaking of the possible reason for the shorter pivots not the fact that the longer pivot doesn’t add friction. You definitely got that right! :D

Tambien use’ la palabra ‘evil’ solo para que te recuerdas el motivo de este mensaje. :D

Bob

Bob Tascione

Looks like we posted at the same time.
          Can disregard what I wrote in Spanish now :D .
          Not sure about Junghans records or history. Bernie might be able to help us with that one.

Bob

bernie weishapl
          Participant

Thanks again guys. Gives something to think about. It may be that the pivots were made short for a reason. The oil sinks on the ones I have lengthened had shallow oil sinks with a couple deeper ones. Also a lot of the short pivots had some tunneling. Again good food for thought.

I did some research and haven’t found any info as to maybe why they were made short if that was the case.

chris mabbott
            Participant

Bernie, do you happen to know the year your clock was produced, approximately?

I’m not sure about clocks, although I have a couple of Junghans PWs from around 1928-34. They were on a big production run at that time, with the bolstered German economy, the new influx of capital into the system, people were spending money on luxury items like watches and clocks.
              I’m not sure if it is factual that they had a contract to provide watches to the military, but that is a story/rumor that I heard some time ago?

Also, during the wars, many companies were obliged to retool their operations to produce military equipment. The Zeiss AG company was, I believe, retooled for making the optics for bombers and sights for fighter aircraft, not to mention distancing devices for artillery, binoculars etc etc..

arutha
              Participant

Chris, you are right about Zeiss, when the Russians got to the factory they pretty much cleared it out out and took all the info back to Russia. Their optics for their cameras suddenly got a whole lot better as they were now making them to Zeiss designs.
                Paul.

bernie weishapl
                Participant

Chris I am guessing 1930 to 1940. Can’t be absolute but would be close.

Bob Tascione

Hi guys,
                    I finally got back to that study and uploaded it to youtube.
                    Hope it makes sense and that you like it.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrg5b8U1zVM
                    Please comment on it if you have a chance.
                    Adios,
                    Bob

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

Went and took a look. As I said in the other post very interesting.

chris mabbott
                      Participant

@Bernie Weishapl wrote:

Chris I am guessing 1930 to 1940. Can’t be absolute but would be close.

Bernie, as I mentioned above, those dates, and even 3 years prior, and obviously 10 years post, would account for shortages .. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockade_of_Germany_(1939–45)

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

Thanks Chris. Interesting.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.