Home Forums General Discussion Forum Jillasan ceramic stone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    clockman1509
    Participant

Good evening all,has any one on the forum ever used a ceramic stone for sharpening gravers.
      I have bought one from Cousins, unfortunately there are no instructions as to if it should be used
      in conjunction with honing oil, water or nothing at all. I bought it to give a final touch to my gravers,
      Your advice would be much appreciated.
      thanks
      Alan

tmac1956
      Participant

@clockman1509 wrote:

Good evening all,has any one on the forum ever used a ceramic stone for sharpening gravers.
        I have bought one from Cousins, unfortunately there are no instructions as to if it should be used
        in conjunction with honing oil, water or nothing at all. I bought it to give a final touch to my gravers,
        Your advice would be much appreciated.
        thanks
        Alan

Alan:

I haven’t used ceramic stones, but I did find this on a supplier’s site. “For best results and efficiency, use an oil lubricant with the ceramic stones.”

http://www.pro-polishing-tools.com/ceramicfront.html

Good luck!
        tmac

arutha
        Participant

Hi Alan,
          I think the ceramic stones are the nearest thing you can get to Arkansas stone. As Tmac has said, you would use oil with these but you only need a drop on the area of the stone you are using. Would be interested to hear how the stone performs as Arkansas is getting very expensive and I dont think there is much of it left.
          Paul.

clockman1509
          Participant

Thanks for the reply’s I will post when I have used it out.I will also put up a photo.
            many thanks chaps
            Alan

david pierce
            Participant

Clockman,
              Good information resourceS for items related to sharpening are woodworking supply stores such as HIGHLAND WOODWORKING, WOODCRAFT, HARTVILLE TOOLS and ROCKLER. There are also numerous videos available on Youtube that show different methods and processes for sharpening. These are mostly for knives, chisels and plane blabes but the concepts are the same.
              david

gerene
              Participant

If you are referring to the Jewellers/Watchmakers sharpening and polishing stone sold by Cousins, then you would use regular 3-in-1 oil as mentioned on their site. I do have one of those and it works really well.

regards, Jan

clockman1509
                Participant

Good evening all, I said I would give an update on the Jillasan Ceramic Stone,I have sharpened a lozenge shaped graver with this. I first put i on an India ston then the ceramic and a couple of strokes on the Arkansas. It works fine. This is my first attempt to sharpen gravers, I then used it on the lathe to start turning some tooling from Bob’s Video. It cut like a knife through butter. I don’t know if you can buy these in the States but you can purchase them from Cousins UK. This cost just under £4. roughly $6 U.S. the equivalent size Arkansas stone would be about £20. roughly $36 U.S.
                  I have attached some photo’s, your responses would be welcome.

arutha
                  Participant

Hi Alan,
                    having investigated these stones a little more they are available in different grades, the 555 you have is one of the heavier grades and might not be the best thing for finishing your gravers. It will only be through use and the finish quality of the work that you will know if that stone is up to the job.
                    Paul.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.