Home Forums General Discussion Forum JEWELING CHUCKS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    david pierce
    Participant

Jan,
      Check out Ebay items #201028530244 and #151218856270.
      david

gerene
      Participant

Thanks David, I am interrested in item #151218856270 which would be what I need. However, it does not ship to Europe :(
        I will keep looking out….

Jan

david pierce
        Participant

Jan,
          The screw head polishing sets seem to have a great selection of those chucks. You can also make them out of brass rod with the equipment you already have. Since you are only concerned with the sleeve you do not have to worry about the threaded stop in the back of the collets. Turn the OD and drill an undersize ID on your TAIG to fit one of the ER11 collets. Then finish the ID on your NANO with a boreing bar followed by a reamer for the final size. You can then use your milling machine to cut the slots with a slitting saw.
          davide

tmac1956
          Participant

David:

A related question about boring. Would I need a boring head to do bigger diameters than the max 1/2″ drill bits? Those boring heads are a little pricey, but I know I’m going to need the capability to bore at some point. Recommendations?…

Thanks!
            Tom

david pierce
            Participant

Tom,
              The boreing head would apply to boreing a hole through a plate. For a round shaft the piece would be turned in a lathe and a boreing bar would be mounted to the cross slide. For your HF mill I would not go larger than a 2 inch boreing head. Smaller is better in this case because you can run the smaller heads faster. Check with MSC and ENCO and see what they have to offer.
              david

gerene
              Participant

David,

I might try your suggestion of making them myself. I will put it on my “todo” list, which seems to be only growing. I can not take things of faster than adding things :?
                I will certainly need more help, if and when I get to it ;)
                Jan

david pierce
                Participant

Jan,
                  The best method is to jump in, screw it up and learn from your failures. Every machine shop has a scrap bin. It is a very important piece of equipment. Another member just joined who also has a background in machine work. Hopefully he will pitch in and help with some of these questions and may offer perspectives that I never thought of.
                  david

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.