Home Forums General Discussion Forum Jauch Grandfather Hour Chime Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jchicago
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I have a Jauch grandfather clock that I purchased at auction. It is a Westminster 1/4 hour chimer. The movement (the entire clock actually) are brand new although I believe it was manufactured in the 70s. I balanced, lubricated, and checked it over and it now runs perfectly. However the hour chimes are a bit whacky. When the clock hits 1:00 it chimes the hour twice, at 2:00 it chimes once, and 3-5 are one hour behind. It does chime correctly from 6:00 – 12:00 though, and the 1/4 hour chimes are perfect. Any ideas?

Thanks a million.
      -Joseph

willofiam

Interesting Joseph, Without the movement in hand it is hard to say what is going on for sure, my first thought is that it is not locking the strike when it is supposed to, then again that doesnt account for it striking correctly from 6-12. Another idea is to look at the snail in relationship to the rack tail, could the rack tail be hitting part way down the the snails cutout for 12 and not be getting to the upper surface for 1:00, then at 2 it is only getting as far as the one oclock step on the snail. Hope that makes sense. If you can post a photo of the front of the movement when it is supposed to strike the 1 o’clock, that may help. William

jchicago
        Participant

Thank you William. I will post some pics as soon as I can. My first thought was the snail as well, but I haven’t taken the face (dial) off yet so I don’t know what’s going on in there. I restore old pocket watches as a hobby but I am not an expert on clock movements by any means.

Thanks again.

-Joseph

c.kelly
          Participant

Hi,
            While I am more familiar with watches I have ran into this problem with a Jauch bim bam clock before. Mine would gong normally from 2-7 then from 8 to 11 it was one gong shy. It gonged 12 ok but then it would gong 12 again at 1. What I found was that the pin that rides on the snail was bent and not falling into the right slot on the snail. In fact when I started adjusting it appeared as if it were made in such a way that allowed for adjustment. The end of the pin was slightly curled that rode on the snail gear and I had to unroll it a bit to get it to hit each section of the snail each time. It was a bit of trial and error but I finally got it gonging when it was supposed to. Not sure if this helps but your issue sounds similar to the one I had.

arutha
            Participant

Just throwing in my 2 cents but check the toothed rack. If this is sticky it can cause problems by not even reaching the snail when it is dropping which would also cause problems with the number of strikes. The pin on the cam which moves the rack up can also cause problems if bent.
              Paul.

jchicago
              Participant

Thank you for your replies. Although I haven’t had a change to take the dial/face off yet (been travelling), I really appreciate your suggestions. In regards to the toothed-rack; Does it matter which tooth the pin is currently in? Meaning -> as long as there are enough teeth left to make the hour strikes does the exact tooth/pin position matter?

Thanks again!

-Joseph

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.