Home Forums General Discussion Forum Jauch Arbor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    oldschool
    Participant

Good Morning All
      I am New (Newbe)to the repair of clocks. I have been collecting for a few years and been sending them out for repair. Its my turn to take up the servicing and saving some cash. Well let me cut to the chase. I picked up a clock with a Jauch pl61 cm movement the last owner had broken clean off the mainspring key section of the arbor. I search the supply house’s and due to the age of the movement could not find one. They all told me to try to find a movement on e-bay that I could use for parts. I did and no one had one for sale. I was wandering if any one out there could hook me up? Is this movement a good one because nobody wants to give them up on E-bay?
      Thanks 🙄
      Oldschool

arutha
      Participant

Hi oldschool,
        do you mean the part of the barrel arbor that the key fits on to to wind it? If this is the case you would do well to make sure they have not done further damage to the mechanism by using such force? If you know someone who owns a lthe it is not too difficult to make a new arbor.
        If you mean the tang that is used to hold on the mainspring, that can be replaced.
        Let us know which it is and we can then help further :)
        Paul.

oldschool
        Participant

Hi Arutha
          Yes; it is whare the key attaches. I removed the barrel and i will need to place a bushing in it. I have an issue machining it due to the square end at the click gear. It may be out of my expertise. But if I cannot fine one then I could do no worse right!! ha ha. Is it stainless or just steel that they are made of. I want to thank you for your help.
          Oldschool

arutha
          Participant

It is just steel, the square part at the end for the key is quite easy. Just put 90 degree marks on the lathe chuck and then file your flats. It may take a little practice to get it right but take your time and do this first before then turning down the diameters for the barrel etc. the harder part is the tang that the mainspring clips over. This can be done by inserting a suitably sized steel screw into the arbour and then filing to shape.
            Good luck :)
            Paul.

oldschool
            Participant

I will give it a try. I will let you know the out come.
              Again thanks
              Kyle

arutha
              Participant

Good luck Kyle and please do let us know how it goes.

david pierce
                Participant

Old School,
                  If you have access to a drill press and do not have a lathe, you can put the arbor into the drill press chuck and use the jaws of the drill press vice as a file guide. You will be filing it vertically insead of horizontally as you would on a lathe but you still should get an acceptable result. You can mark off the 90 degree positions with some masking tape wrapped around the drill chuck and the vice jaws can provide sufficient locking force to hold the part while you are filing it.
                  david

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.