Home Forums General Discussion Forum Jacot Tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Bob,
      have you ever considered a video on the use of a jacot tool? the reason I ask this is that I am currently working on a French drum movement and the pivots on the escape wheel are quite bad to the point they will both need replacing. They are very fine and as I dont have the gear to do it on my lathe I thought about using the jacot tool that has been sat in its box since I bought it last year. I dont have the first idea where to start :(

Bob Tascione

Hi Paul,
        I never really thought about doing a Jacot Tool demo but that might be a helpful one as the tool is something that’s used often when restoring old watches. I think you’re talking about the traditional type Jacot tool where a bow is used to spin the arbor back and forth and not the drilling guide/fixture attachments that are used on watchmakers lathes. The reason I mention this is that J.Malcolm Wild makes and sells one of these attachments for larger lathes which he calls a “Jacot Tool” so we may be talking about two different tools. The traditional Jacot tool is used for polishing/burnishing pivots and as far as I know can’t be used for re-pivoting. At least my Jacot tool wouldn’t work for this. Although there may be some type of attachment for the Jacot that I’m not aware.

What type do you have?

Bob

arutha
        Participant

Its the traditional type in the box with different runners. Is it just used for pivot polishing then? I have looked on the internet and cant find any decent explanations on how to use this tool. I for one would be willing to pay extra if you did do a video on its use.

Bob Tascione

Hi Paul,
            Yes it’s used for burnishing pivots.
            There is a good video out there already which would be hard improve on by Ron DeCorte. I’ll find a link asap and will put it up here for you. We touched on this a tiny bit in a previous thread back in 2010 located here http://www.clockrepairtips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111 if you want to take a look.
            I’ll grab a link to the DVD.

Ok, I’m back…it can be purchased up on eBay by clicking the following link and if the link expires then just put Jacot lathe Ron DeCorte into ebay search. Here it is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Jacot-Lathe-Video-DVD-VDO-108-/290331512976

Anything Ron DeCorte puts out is good.

Enjoy!
            Bob

arutha
            Participant

Thanks for the info Bob.
              Just out of interest, have you been working on anything lately, you hear a lot about what we are doing, what are you up to?
              :) Paul.

Bob Tascione

Been working on a tan! :D
                Yes I have a couple of video projects going but I keep getting side tracked. Hope to get back to things as soon as the dust settles a bit.

Bob

randy
                Participant

Paul,
                  I have the Ron Decorte video, and would be happy to share with you if you want.
                  It helped me alot
                  I could mail it to you ???
                  Let me know ?
                  Best,

Randy

arutha
                  Participant

Hi Randy, thanks for the offer, thats very kind.
                    I do live in the UK so by the time you have sent it to me and I have sent it back It would probably be as cheap for me just to buy one.
                    Thanks again for the offer, it is appreciated Randy :)
                    Paul.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.