Home Forums General Discussion Forum is my mainspring too large for the movement ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    john
    Participant

I have a recoil escapement type time only sessions clock. Every time the clock should tick between entry and exit pallet more than one tooth spins by, its more like 5-10 teeth spin by, on the escape wheel. I purchased this at a auction and it looks like it has a new spring. Would the wrong spring , a too powerful a spring, be the culprit or should I keep trying to put the clock in beat by bending the crutch ? I have never seen anything like this but this is the first sessions clock I have worked with and overall it is my 5th clock I have tried to repair.

Bob Tascione

Hi John,
        If your escape wheel is in good shape then it sounds more like a verge (anchor) depth problem. You should be able to make a depth adjustment by moving the arm carrying the verge a little closer to the escape wheel. Here’s a pic that shows the arm that Wingman had put up in a previous post.
        That would be the first thing I would try. If that doesn’t do the trick or if your movement has a different arrangement then please let us know. Posting a pic would also be helpful if it is different.
        Bob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.