Home Forums General Discussion Forum Introducing myself

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

In your last post you said you tried adjusting the bob and the clock stopped? Is the clock now running ok? If so I wouldn’t touch the pallets unless you know how to set them up? If the clock is losing 5 minutes per day raise the bob up by about a turn and a half and see what happens.
      Paul.

rgmt79
      Participant

I’m not sure what was wrong, but I stripped down the escapement mechanism added a little oil to the contact faces on the wheel (I forgot to do that the first time) and now everything is working just fine and it keeps good time :D Pictures show the fully restored clock…

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Sounds like you have the clock running well. A beat meter would be a great help in getting these clocks in beat. As for taking the pallets apart for cleaning I would not go there unless you are well versed and have experience in doing this. Even the smallest adjustment can put the escapement completely out of source and the clock will not run at all. If it was running before then I doubt that would be your problem.

willofiam

Hey Richard, a bit of grit and grime and lack of oil on the escapement will cause a clock to stop, I have seen this many times. Glad you found that out. Very nice looking clock, great job. William

rgmt79
            Participant

It’s been a while since I last posted on here. I’m pleased to say that my 2 clock project was completed with the 2nd Gustav Becker clock up and running sweetly for a few months now…I will post a video if someone can tell me how please?

In the meantime I have purchased this Seth Thomas clock on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/seth-thomas-wall-clock-/172596783343?nma=true&si=YoRgsdf9pQpiaOil5xMiysjV4KE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You can see from the photo’s that it’s in bits. I’m not familiar with this movement, so any tips and advice very welcome as I attempt to get it working again. First of all, can anyone advise if there are any parts missing? Is the pendulum original? The top end attachment does not seem to match the suspension rod!!

Richard

rgmt79
              Participant

Ok, since my last posting, I have now done some research and established that despite the name Seth Thomas on the face of the dial, this is not a Seth Thomas clock. It in fact a Japanese clock Seikosha. You will see from the pictures below that the only mark anywhere on the clock is the trademark on the movement frame. The pendulum is not correct for this clock, I fail to understand how it found it’s way among the box of parts sent to me, the seller is none the wiser either. Anyway, I have attached a picture of the complete movement and associated pendulum (I found these on another clock forum). I would appreciate any comments anyone might have about this clock and it’s movement. Also, advice on where I can obtain a pendulum like the one in the photo?

Thanks,

Richard

bernie weishapl
                Participant

What makes you think this is a Japanese clock Seikosha? Could you take a good close up pic’s of the movement especially the trademark? That looks like a seth thomas trademark but can’t be sure. I tried to blow it up but gets blurry but it looks like a ST logo to me. Attached is a ST trademark symbol.

rgmt79
                  Participant

Hi Bernie, I’m sorry, I thought I had loaded a picture of the Seikosha symbol on the movement. It seems that this company started out by copying ST clocks (movements and cases). I first became suspicious when I tried to match the case with the range of cases made by ST and there was nothing of similar size…in fact the clock I have is about 75% the size of the ST Global. The movement is pretty much identical to the equivalent ST.

Thanks for your interest. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Richard

rgmt79
                    Participant

I have now removed the fake paper dial and pleased to find that the original (also paper) Seikosha dial is still there and in good condition. I have removed as mush of the new dial and it’s glue as I can without wanting to damage the original…I think it will look good in the restored clock:-)

Richard

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.