Home Forums General Discussion Forum Internet Buying Disasters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

Michael:

If you don’t want to mess up your ultrasonic solution – and you have a copy of the Chicago School of Watchmaking course, they present a seven dip manual cleaning process that you could use to clean WD40 and the like. I use Naptha in place of the degreaser that they specify (that course was probably put together before the advent of the EPA), and you can still get the green soap that they specifiy. In reality, you don’t need to do the seven dip process and can probably get by with Naptha/Soap-Amonia/ALchohol/Water that should desolve just about anything. It’s cheap and just takes a little time to get things clean. Just remember not to use the alchohol on shelaced-in jewels.

Later,
      Tom

arutha
      Participant

One other thing that I found out recently with regards to WD40 is that if you have a movement which smells of WD40 and has gone all dry and sticky the best thing to clean off the old WD40 is…….yep, WD40! The carrier or propellant will liquify the old gummy WD40 and allow it to be cleaned off more easily with your chosen cleaner.

Tom, i have one of the old “glass jar” cleaning machines and they work very well, the difficult part if you are not using naphtha, is deciding which of the many L&R cleaners and rinses to use.
        Paul.

michael weaver
        Participant

Thanks for all of the advice fellas!

chris mabbott
          Participant

Hey Michael,

other than the good advice already offered, I would suggest that you dump the old hairspring and just buy a new one, installing a new HS is a needed skill, much more so than trying to fix a busted one.

Speaking from my own many failed attempts, you can waste hours messing with one of these things and in the end, they don’t perform 100% simply because you’ve changed their shape and they have been contaminated with, in this case, WD40. It can also be a very disheartening exercise in futility and even the most seasoned watch repairers struggle with the straightening procedure.

I would go with what the others have suggested and use a naptha soak, followed by a hand cleaning followed by another naptha soak. I’ve left parts soaking overnight and have NEVER had any damage to finish, jewels or any parts.
            Regarding sonic cleaners and cleaners in general, yes, they have their place, they are great if you have many watches to repair and economically, need to get them out yesterday..
            But IMHO, you can’t beat hand cleaning, if you have time and patience, which you must have in this hobby :-)
            I actually did a test with the U/S cleaner that I never use. I ran the cycle with some of the fluids, don’t ask me which ones, I’ve forgotten, then I took one of the gears, that had been ultrasonically cleaned, and I cleaned it by hand, the difference was like a dirty mirror and a clean mirror, also the amount of black…tarnish that came out in the naptha rinse was astounding.

At the end of the day though it is what suits the user so what ever method works, is the best one for that person ;)

I had a similar watch arrive, but I think they sprayed it with 3 in 1 oil, even worse, it really gums up the works 😆

Chris

michael weaver
            Participant

Chris, I really appreciate your response. I have used an ultrasonic a lot. I also have a lot of mixed emotions about using them. I have had stuff come out of it looking brand new and I have pulled things out of it completely ruined. Hand cleaning wouldn’t bother me one bit and I think it’s a good idea. I throw tools into the ultrasonic all of the time and I have had stains come from one tool and actually stain the steel on another. They definitely have their place and do a great job breaking down oil and grease in tight areas. As far as delicate work, I couldn’t agree with you more. Thanks again, Michael

chris mabbott
              Participant

Let us know how you make out Michael or what you decide to do with the HS. If you haven’t ordered the Chicago School of Watchmaking book yet, I would strongly suggest that you consider it, it has a great step by step procedure for new HS installation, setting up the collet etc

There is a link in one of the threads in this section that will take you to the website…

Just as another addition to your thread, I received a 992 yesterday and when I unpacked it guess what the first thing was that hit my nose 🙄 Must be a new trend in selling, YEAH it WORKS keeps near perfect time, just keep feeding it WD40 😆
                I haven’t had a good look at it yet to see what the contamination levels are but, it is running..

Good luck..

michael weaver
                Participant

Yes I do need to get the book. Good luck with the 992….hey at least it’s a 992 in the end. Maybe when you sell it you can keep the little red extension nozzle sticking out of the back of the case for quick service. :P

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.