Home Forums General Discussion Forum INTERCHANGEABILITY OF POCKET WATCH HANDS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    steveboy033149
    Participant

To replace a missing antique pocket watch hand from say an Elgin size 6 movement, does the new hand need to come from the same grade of movement? or just from a size 6 Elgin?

arutha
      Participant

Hi Steve,
        I dont know enough about elgins to know if the hands are interchangeable but i would imagine if you got the hands from a same size Elgin movement from the same time period you should be ok. Hands can be adjusted to fit any pocket watch, find the suitable hands and then we can talk you through adjusting them to fit :)
        Paul.

willofiam

hey steve, there are some rules to how long the hands should be ect..ect.., I have it in one of my books but cant remember where right now, try searching it out, if you have trouble finding anything let us know. William

peterclare
          Participant

Looking at the Swiggarts illustrated manual, 6s seems to have only one style (in 1952) so I would say any set from another Elgin 6s should be fine.

You could try http://www.elginwatchparts.com for your grade, but I just checked for a couple of mine and all it says is 16s.

I do mainly 18s and 16s Elgin, and the hands are interchangeable within the sizes for different grades. Mind you, some of the hands need tightening to deal with old arbors, or from being put on an off many times over the years.

Regards

Peter in Oz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.