Home Forums General Discussion Forum Installing Hands on Automatic Movement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kittyhawk
    Participant

Greetings to all in the forum,
      I am new to this forum, and hope to learn a lot from your experience. I am interested in watches and clocks (WW2 airplane clocks). Although I am not trained to service watches and clocks I am a hands on person and like to tinker on a wide range of stuff (from electronics to 3D printing).
      I have some basic watchmaker tools, and replaced a couple of quartz movements in my watches before.
      My next project is to assemble a watch with a mechanical movement. The movement should come complete so I figure I only need to install the dial, hands and fix it into the case.
      For quartz watches, I do not install the battery when pressing the hands into place. In this way the movement is not moving when pressing in the hands.
      My question (sorry this may be completely straight forward for experienced persons) is for the case of a mechanical/automatic movement, what is the correct procedure for installing the hands? Should I pull the crown to the “hand setting” position so the movement is stop before installing the hands?
      Any other tips and advise is most welcome.
      regards,
      Thomas

Bob Tascione

Hi Thomas and welcome to the forum.
        If the watch has a hack function then I normally pull the stem out to stop second hand movement when replacing hands. If not then I just put the hands back on when watch is running.
        Take care for now,
        Bob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.