Home Forums General Discussion Forum Ingraham strip "deadbeat" escapement.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    slattery51
    Participant

I have a Ingraham black mantel clock, with a strip deadbeat escapement, with a 48 tooth escape wheel. Upon examining it I found the teeth are bent all out of shape… I tried to straighten them with soft flat needle pliers and with some success. The deadbeat pallets were grooved and I polished them etc… The problem is some teeth are longer or shorter on the escape wheel, as evident in the “beat” and no matter what I have tried nothing I do seems to help. The entrance pallet, and the exit pallet, are just getting by, ( with the drop), if I try and increase the depth, it jam’s etc……when decreasing the drop, it just seems to “get by” with just enough impulse to to keep it running barely… So the question is ” can I order a new 48 tooth escape wheel, and pair it up with a “recoil verge”. The deadbeat verge at this point is not to be trusted….it is worn. Since I am new to this, I could really use some advise….thanks. ps, is there some vendor that has “strip deadbeat’ verges?? Thanks.

stevefitzwater
      Participant

Ok, one fix you can do it to place the escape wheel in a lathe, then using a fine stone and very light pressure, take off the high spots, thus giving you a working escape, I remember a video of this, not sure if was one of Bob’s or someone else showing this process, just remember, you want to remove the metal, not bend it, so a careful touch is required.

But to be honest, I would wait to see if one of the more experienced clock people have another idea, as I have very limited experience in clock work.

slattery51
        Participant

Hi Steve, I just got finished doing just what you suggested, chucked it up, and very gently “topped off the wheel”, and it is now running with just a hint of distress…. I have seemed to have gotten a better “drop” on the pallet’s also, as it is engaging the escape wheel much better. It has been running about an hour now and still going strong…I also readjusted the verge crutch, this seemed to help also. I do still need the question of whether I can exchange out the “dead beat” for a recoil escapement with a new 48 tooth wheel???? Any thoughts on the matter??? best regards.

slattery51
          Participant

Just a follow up on the escape wheel distress. I found a tooth that was not equal distance (spaced) seemed to have fixed it with the smooth pliers, now it is working with no distress, even beat etc…. currently all is happy…….

stevefitzwater
            Participant

Great to hear, as far as switching out escapements, no idea on that, you might get more of a response if this was posted in the general chat forum.

slattery51
              Participant

Hi Steve, guess I never thought of that, duh, I try that in the near future, the escape wheel and time train are still running like a clock…… take care , thanks for the help, best regards.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.