Home Forums General Discussion Forum Ingraham Mission clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Well I finished my clock restoration yesterday. This is the one that had the plate cut in front and had escape wheel soldered on. Anyway I kept a eye on ebay and found a replacement movement. Anyway I used the escape wheel, front plate, the hammer assembly (he had broken of one hammer, removed the bell and redrilled the case and moved the gong inside the case.) The last repairer had also punched the plates instead of bushing the movement. I installed 8 bushings and repivoted 2 wheels. After cleaning and assembly I oiled the movement with Moebius 8040 with 9415 on the pallets and put it on the test stand. It ran 3 days with strong pendulum swing. It now strikes the half hour on the bell and the hour on the gong. Put it back in the case yesterday and it is going strong. The last 2 pictures show the front plate before and after along with a couple of other pictures.

chris mabbott
      Participant

Beautiful job Bernie, nice workmanship and great photos. Wow the last guy almost massacred it…
        You saved it from the junk pile for sure…
        Hopefully I can learn from this when time comes for my clocks… Gulp

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Thanks Chris. Yep he said before he found me he was going to take it to his alley dumpster. I have been so busy with other projects and working on this inbetween I didn’t get a picture of the pivots I replaced. Here is a picture of the globbed up solder job on the escape wheel. both sides with soldered. Anyway it is a happy clock so far and running strong.

chris mabbott
          Participant

I think only two words can describe before and after Bernie …

Before : OUCH

After : WOW

arutha
            Participant

Lovely job Bernie, I will get to doing mine one day 😳
              Nice to see a clock like this bought back to life.
              Paul.

bernie weishapl
              Participant

Thanks guys. Yes I am just tickled to see it ticking away and keeping time pretty close for its age. I timed it out with my microset and computer to about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes a month. Now will it run that close I don’t know but that is good enough for me. I love it when I see or I can bring something back to life and hopefully see it run another 100 years.

willofiam

Hey Bernie, good job, Nothing better than the sound of a good running timepiece! sometimes its alot of work but when you see the smiles and hear the stories of the fond memories a clock brings to your customers all the headaches and tears fade away. William

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

Yes it does make me smile when I hear the stories. It makes me even feel proud that I could get the clock back to sounding the way it did when it was original.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.