Home Forums General Discussion Forum Ingraham Clock Stops

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wingman
    Participant

I overhauled a Ingraham mantle clock with strike train. The clock occasionally stopped before the overhaul, at 20 minutes after the hour. After the overhaul bushings and new mainsprings it still does this. Any suggestions?

Steve

willofiam

Hi Steve, does this happen when the strike train is about to go into warning, I would assume it has a half hour strike but you would have to let us know if it is a passive strike or if it runs the strike, you can tell by the count wheel and whether it has a extra slot after each hour count, if it does then it runs the 1/2 hour strike, otherwise the hammer is lifted by the center cam without any run = passive strike, it sounds like it doesnt do it at 10 to the top of the hour, check your center cam and lifting levers, that they all are smoothly operating. look at the J hook or lifting lever and the center cam that it rides on, this should be smooth, it is possible something is binding and stopping the clock other than having pivot and power issues, William P.S. have fun!!! :D

jim1228
        Participant

Hi Steve,
          I don’t know if you have already done this but, mount the movement on a movement stand for bench test. That way you can see exactly what the movement is doing. Do this with good lighting . Also try putting the hands on so you can advance the time and watch those levers and cams like William suggested. You could have a bent arbor or a marred tooth on one of your gears. Let us know what you find. I wish you well :)

Jim

wingman
          Participant

Thanks Both are good ideas. I believe it has a passive strike on the 1/2 hour. That would account for it running OK at 10 min. to the hour but not 20 min after
            . I’ll check out the center cam.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.