Home Forums General Discussion Forum Ingersoll Type-R Radiolite Alarm Clock 1920’s – Press Fit Sh

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    buzzardking
    Participant

Hi, All, this is my first post here though I’ve been a member for several years.

I’m working on an Ingersoll Type-R alarm clock with a Radiolite dial and I need some advice.
      Somebody soaked the works in oil and it is, of course, pretty nasty and a little gummy here and there.
      This is not my first clock, but it’s one of only a few I’ve been unable to pull apart all the way. Usually I just leave an assembly alone if I can’t get it apart easily, but at some point I have to learn how to deal with press fit/friction fit shafts.
      How do I go about pulling this shaft apart for cleaning – or should I just put this assembly in the cleaning fluid and leave it intact?

Thanks for your help!

willofiam

@Buzzardking wrote:

press fit/friction fit shafts

I may not understand your question or the photos, it appears that they would not be a press or friction fit (if there is a press fit piece I use small levers, one on each side and carefully and evenly pry upwards), to me it looks like you would take the brass wires off the arbors and it should come apart…If it were me I would try to get it all apart. Have fun…

willofiam

Oh, I forgot to mention, try to resize your photos before posting them…makes it much easier to view them at a smaller size…Thank you.

buzzardking
          Participant

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the humongous pics; Facebook has spoiled me. I’ll make images smaller in future.

The brass S-curve wire and the steel(?) coiled wire are on the same end with the plate in between them. The steel wire is coiled around a flanged piece that appears to be permanently attached to the arbor.The wheel cluster is on the other end.
            I’m temped to try to pry off the wheel cluster, but that feels very, very wrong.
            If I try to pry off the part with the nubbin on it I’ll fold down the edges of the brass sleeve it turns on.

Maybe this trip I’ll just clean it as-is and deal with the pain of replacing all the parts between the plates.

willofiam

O.K. I see it now…duh..its the pressed on pieces for the alarm setting, It looks like tapping on the threaded side of that arbor would loosen the flat washer, push it up towards the threads. Be careful not to damage the threads (put the knob back on or use a brass or aluminum hammer) supporting the underside of the plates. It may be possible to either pry that washer up and off if you can get under it (looks like that spring is mushed down tight) or after it is loosened up a bit, worst case scenario is to grab it with some stout pliers, twist and pull though this can leave plier marks and would have to be dressed before reassembly. If by chance the flat washer it too loose when putting it back on you can close that hole a little bit with a round nose punch. Do you have a staking set? Have fun…hopefully I am on the right track.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.