Home Forums General Discussion Forum incabloc setting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    gerene
    Participant

I am working on Omega 752 caliber where the lower shock assembly (Incabloc) has been removed. I do have a new one, which has to be mounted.

I was wondering what would be the best tool to do this. I do have this staking set from K&D:

and also this Seitz jeweling tool:

Furthermore there exists an Incabloc Punch and Stake set https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/tools/jewelling-tools-for-bergeon-kif-inca-seitz/incabloc-punch-stake-set which comes with a price-tag. I suppose this would fit the Seitz Jewel Press.

I was wondering which of my tools would be most suited for the task and if I would need the special Incabloc set?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jan

tmac1956
      Participant

Jan:

I’ve been looking into these myself. According to my book, the K & D set has punches Nos. 21-A and 22-A, with stumps Nos. 62 and 67. Additionally, I found this Set of 3 Kif Tools that look interesting and comes with some replacement srpings:

http://www.ofrei.com/page745.html#9201

I hope this helps.
        Tom

gerene
        Participant

Thanks Tom,

I will look up the stake numbers for the K&D set.

The tool you refer to for Kif is to replace the springs retaining the jewel in the setting. My problem is that I have to replace the whole setting in the main plate, making sure that the endshake of the balance arbor is still ok.

Jan

tmac1956
          Participant

Jan:

Clearly, I’ve never done one of those so that explains why I didn’t know the difference between removing the springs and the whole assembly – typical. ;) Anyway, last week I was looking at my staking set and found the two punches, but I don’t see any numbers on the stumps. Do your stumps have numbers on them and if so, where are they to be found?

Another question… if those assemblies are pushed out could one use the micrometer on the staking set to measure the depth before pushing it out? Of course that would imply that the end shake was correct to start with – I guess there’s no garuntee on that.

Thanks for the info on the spring tools – I guess I need a set of those as well. One other thing… if you don’t have those punches and stumps, you can find these on eBay here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-K-D-INCABLOC-PUNCHES-STUMPS-No-329-WATCHMAKER-JEWELER-QUALITY-MADE-/351058818751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bcbc76bf

…and here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-D-KENDRICK-DAVIS-MODEL-329-INCABLOC-PUNCHES-STUMPS-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/171315123762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e32d5632

Thanks!
            Tom

randy
            Participant

Sounds like you two have this all figured out..and Jan, I’ve read where many folks prefer to use the Seitz tool if you have the correct pushers,.but I’m sure that’s not the only way.
              The K&D setup should be fine as well
              I’m thinking that you are going to have to remove the cap jewel, so that you can start to insert the assembly and try-fit the balance until you think you have the correct depth…unless you know the micrometer value already as Tom was saying…

Just my two cents,..and best of luck !

Randy

tmac1956
              Participant

Randy:

Jan has it all figured out… not me. Like Sgt. Schultz- I know nothing!

Thanks,
                Tom

randy
                Participant

I think the great thing about this Tom, is that we all know “something”, and the collective genius is always a good thing !

You know more than you think , I’m sure.

All the best

Randy

gerene
                  Participant

@tmac1956 wrote:

Jan:

Clearly, I’ve never done one of those so that explains why I didn’t know the difference between removing the springs and the whole assembly – typical. ;) Anyway, last week I was looking at my staking set and found the two punches, but I don’t see any numbers on the stumps. Do your stumps have numbers on them and if so, where are they to be found?

Another question… if those assemblies are pushed out could one use the micrometer on the staking set to measure the depth before pushing it out? Of course that would imply that the end shake was correct to start with – I guess there’s no garuntee on that.

Thanks for the info on the spring tools – I guess I need a set of those as well. One other thing… if you don’t have those punches and stumps, you can find these on eBay here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-K-D-INCABLOC-PUNCHES-STUMPS-No-329-WATCHMAKER-JEWELER-QUALITY-MADE-/351058818751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bcbc76bf

…and here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-D-KENDRICK-DAVIS-MODEL-329-INCABLOC-PUNCHES-STUMPS-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/171315123762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e32d5632

Thanks!
                    Tom

Tom,

my staking set only has numbers on the punches not on the stumps :(.

Thanks for the links to ebay for those items. They are only a little bit cheaper than the new Incabloc set from cousins. They will end up more expensive with shipping to Europe included. So I guess that buying those from Cousins would be the better option. Using the Seitz with the micrometer is probable the best solution anyhow. Still wondering if I would buy the Incabloc set or try to use a hollow punch.
                    Well it looks like one can always buy extra gear for this hobby…

Jan

gerene
                    Participant

Thanks for your input Randy. I was more or less convinced that the Seitz tool with the micrometer would be slightly better than the K&D staking set for this task. It all depends probably on what kind of pushers one has. I am now considering buying the Incabloc pushers… don’t like to part from the money though ;)

Jan

randy
                      Participant

I understand that Jan,…I’m always looking for a “deal” but sometimes you just have to pay full price !!!!
                        Take care !
                        Randy

gerene
                        Participant

Before forking out the money I wanted to try if I could use the pushers I already have in my Seitz Jewel set. I used flat pusher nr 255 and anvil nr 5 and it worked perfectly.
                          Probably the special pusher are even better, but I did not have any problems without them…

Thought somebody might find that interesting.

Jan

tmac1956
                          Participant

gerene:

I have that same set. I’ll file this away for future use.

Thanks!
                            Tom

chris mabbott
                            Participant

Hi Gerene,

I would recommend the seitz tool for this job as it has the micrometer for setting the exact distance for your end shake clearance. Be very careful with the inca spring though, they tend to go ping, without the ping noise,

You may want to remove it very carefully. I use a clear plastic bag and put the setting inside, then put my hands in the bag to work. If it flies, it won’t go far.. Oh yes, they also break very easily. My apologies if I’m stating the obvious.

Chris

gerene
                              Participant

Thanks Chris,

I appreciate your advice. It did work out ok, the setting is in the main plate without the springs flying. I do have some spare incabloc springs of different sizes, including the one in this setting, but I did not need them (this time). The endshake of the balance looks alright. I still have to finish the assembly, but was occupied with other stuff…

Jan

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.