Home Forums General Discussion Forum Illinois size 18 pocket watch silver case

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    byjwr1
    Participant

Hello!

I have an Illinois size 18 ( 1899 vintage ) pocket watch in a beautifull case and stamped on the inside of
      the back cover ( ORE SILVER # 1 ). I have seen cases marked Silverine, Silverode and Silveroid and I
      know what they mean. I haven’t been able to fined information covering ORE SILVER #1. Is it the same
      as sterling? I would appreciate your inputs.

Thank You

BYJWR1

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum BYJWR1!
        I believe these cases were made by J. Fahys & Co. and that Ore Silver cases are Nickel and contain no Silver. Don’t know about the #1 though.
        Hope this helps,
        Have fun,
        Bob

byjwr1
        Participant

Hello Bob,

The case was made by J Fahys Co., but, I think it is a little strange that they would use the term Ore Silver #1 for a
          case made with nickel alloy.

Thanks for your reply Bob!

BYJWR1

Bob Tascione

Hi BYJWR1,
            I’m with you on that one. Maybe Nickel was a dirty word back then or something. Silverine, Silverode and Silveroid all have no silver. Wierd.
            Bob

oldtimers
            Participant

Hello BYJWr1,
              Strange but true. According to the book “History of American Watch Cases” Ore Silver cases do not contain silver. With or without the #1. I bought a few of them in the past and was shocked to discover they were nickle.

byjwr1
              Participant

Hello Oldtimers,

Thanks for your input. Perhaps the word silver helped sell more Pocket Watches? I believe Nickel is a very
                durable and nice looking metal. Makes a nice case for a Pocket Watch.

Thanks Again

BYJWR1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.