Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hunter antique car clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    chaplin37
    Participant

Good morning everyone,

Has anyone ever taken apart an antique car clock before? I have a hunter one with a new york standard movement that needs cleaning; however, I can’t remove the bezel from the case. I will post pictures later of it, but ive tried twisting it and it doesn’t seem like it pops off but I could be wrong. I just dont want to use a screw driver or a bench knife to pop it off and end up maring it to death if there is a trick to removing the bezel.

Thanks everyone

chris mabbott
      Participant

I did a Waltham a long time ago and if my memory serves, that was a snap fit bezel. That being said, your could be entirely different.

Is there a slight lip for prying or any signs that its a press on design? Photos might help better.

chaplin37
        Participant

I dont have it in front of me at the moment, but if my memory serves me well I didn’t see any place to pry it off but im going to check again. Will post pictures either tonight or tomorrow. thanks for the response.

chaplin37
          Participant

Here are the pictures

chris mabbott
            Participant

Mine had a different setup to yours. But seeing the photos, it looks like yours is a crimp fit as the bezel acts as a support against the dashboard, so it is probably meant to be serviced and removed from the rear.

Have you attempted to remove the rear plate yet?

NYS were a fairly inexpensive movement and I believe that they provided 7 jewel movements for autos in the early 1900s. Possibly, these were made as none serviceable, it breaks, you put in a new one’ but I’m guessing.

Try from the back, there may be a couple of screws attaching it to the case that allows it to come out?

Sorry I can’t offer more insight, maybe Bob or one of the other guys can chime in on this one

chaplin37
              Participant

Here is the inside, dont think there is a way to remove it from the inside.

chris mabbott
                Participant

If it were mine and I was stuck, I would find a way to secure it in a vice, if you have protective jaws, or a wooden clamp, try that and gently tap around the bezel edge with a piece of wood and hammer. See if it pops off or moves. I made some hardwood punches for none marring work. See if that does anything. Or, if you have a nylon strap wrench, you could use it to see if its screwed on.

Let us know what you discover…

arutha
                  Participant

Have you tried to undo the two case screws holding the movement in, once they are undone the movement can be angled away from the case and then drawn away from the setting rod?
                    Just done a swiss movement with similar kind of set-up.
                    Paul.

chaplin37
                    Participant

Tanks, but how would i remove the hands and dial if i just remove the screws and angel it and then put the hands and dial back on after servicing?

arutha
                      Participant

The dial should be attached to the movement so should come out with it?
                        I am only guessing but thats how it is on pocket watches.
                        Paul.

randy
                        Participant

I think that Paul makes a good point.
                          If you remove the screws, that may be the way to remove it.
                          It does appear to be set in like a PW movement.

Chris also has some great tips on removing the bezel..should that be the method needed.
                          I remember taking the clock out of my ’64 caddy years ago,…it was easy as the housing came out with a couple of screws, and the movement just sat inside if I remember correctly…this one is different…

Good luck

Randy

chris mabbott
                          Participant

Gents I was actually wondering when I suggested the bezel removal idea, after the rear removal method, that if this one is setup like a PW? If so, then it would be impossible to remove it via the back, as the lip around the front of the movement would act as a brace point when you tighten the movement case screws, if not, the whole movement would simply pop out regardless of the screws. These CC movements are, as far as I’m aware, PW movements, so their nomenclature should be the same.

That being said, I’ve only worked on one car clock and that was a different mounting setup again, the bezel was removed via two tiny set screws, but it also had to be removed front first… The movement was a Waltham 16s PW grade..

Chaplin, please post your findings because I’m sure I can speak for the other guys and say…. We’re curious :ugeek:

stevefitzwater
                            Participant

First let me preface this with, never worked on one of these, but in the last picture you posted, looking at the screw mount at the 11 o’clock position, the case seems to extend under the movement…. seems to, trying to remove the screws might release the movement.

At the very least I would remove that screw to see if there is a tang that is used as a mount perch.

chaplin37
                              Participant

So the long pipe that houses the stem unscrews to remove the stem and crown. As for the two screw, i removed them and it did nothing, its just like a pw and would have to have the bezel removed inorder to remove it from the case

randy
                                Participant

So looking at this again..and reading your last post…I’m going to guess that you need to take Chris’ advice and get a strap wrench on the bezel to attempt to unscrew it.
                                  Might have to get some penetrating fluid under the lip overnight.
                                  Here’s why I think this is the approach ( could be wrong ;) )…
                                  The screws are holding it tight from the back….just like many PW set ups.
                                  So I’m thinking that the bezel needs to be removed so that the movement can be moved forward to release it from the winding/setting stem arrangement…again like many older PW/case set-ups where you removed the bezel to allow the movement to move forward, out of the case.

I can’t see anything else…
                                  Best,

Randy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.