Home Forums General Discussion Forum How’s about a video on strike or strike and chime clocks.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    namonllor1953
    Participant

To those who know much more than I,
      Unfortunately, I’ve had to back off work on pocket watches due to very poor eyesight (I’ve fought it my entire life as, I’m legally blind and I’ve always won over the disability. I’m getting old) and I’ve decided I’d still love to work with clocks. I’ve got the going train, escapment, adjustment information straight in my mind but, when it comes to strike and strike/chime clocks. I’m just not seeing it (no pun intended). I’ve gone back and re-read my books, I’ve studied Bob’s videos, I’ve even purchased a complete set of Conover’s books and it seems that everybody calls different parts by different names and it throws me for a loop.
      I was thinking that, if there were a video of possibly 1 or2 clocks, one strike and possibly one strike/chime, explaining the complete works of each clock, that between the videos and the books, it will be easier for a shlep like myself to see and understand the works. Damn us kinestetic learners…
      At any rate, It really would be deeply appreciated.
      Thanks

willofiam

Hey Ren, you must be very in tune with the cosmos, maybe its the aluminum hat, :D I need to get one……
        Bob and myself have been working on EXACTLY that.
        Be patient, save your time and money for what we have coming very soon…
        We are creating some video courses that will be very thorough and in depth with live video, animations, drawings and text that will blow your socks off or (aluminum hats),…..well… at the least, the first course will give you a complete working knowledge and the valuable information needed to adjust, completely disassemble, reassemble, set up and trouble shoot the chiming feature with the auto correction system. Using the Hermle, British Anvil, Urgos, Jauch and possibly others as our subjects we hope to cover it all. Other in depth courses on a variety of subjects will follow. We will keep you all informed about what, when and where. Suggestions are always welcome….Have a great day.
        Thanks for the question Ren…perfect timing… William

namonllor1953
        Participant

OOoohhhh NOOOoooooooooo, Mr. Bill,

I just purchased three Seth Thomas’ movements for repair. A #124, a #89 and a 0610-T. Then on top of that I purchased a 124 in good working condition, thinking I’d just start compreing and studying how the one that works, operates and then try to repair the broken one.

Leave it to me to jump in with both feet. I just thought that maybe it was a bit much to ask for. After all you guys have lives and I don’t want to be unfair to anyone on this list.
          At any rate, you know that there’s a fat, blind guy with an aluminum hat on, waiting anxiously for your lessons.

You guys are the best!!!

Thank you

namonllor1953
          Participant

I recieved the three broken movements. The one that was running showed up in vertually “pieces”.
            It all worked out okay as I sent it back and the sellerhad no real reson for it getting here in pieces. Packing and box all intact…
            at any rate, looking forward to the video….
            be well

willofiam

Hey Ren…..sorry to hear about the movement in pieces, someone could have started to take it apart and forgot secure the plates, at least the seller worked with you about it…..we are getting closer everyday with the first course. William

Anonymous

William and Bob,
                A video course explaining how the chime correcting system works and how to set it all up for a Hermle movement might save this one I have in front of me from a heave off the nearest bridge!!!?? :D :D
                Any chance?
                Thanks, Phil

willofiam

Hey Phil, I feel your pain ;) Lucky for me the nearest bridges is far away….figuring these out can be very frustrating, I have been there too… like I mentioned to Ren “hold onto your hats” this Hermle video course will take away the pain, be very thorough and give you a full working knowledge so there will be NO travel time to any bridges…

So everyone knows both Bob and I have been overwhelmed with our daily work BUT we have also made this new video course about the Hermle auto correcting chime system a priority…..many long hours as of late…..Bob is currently working on the editing / animation until the wee hours….I will let him give more details and a approximate time frame for when we launch it.

Have fun, William

Bob Tascione

Hi Guys, good to see the interest in the upcoming courses.

William and I were initially going to make a course with a few different movement brands all combined into one course but found that it would be too long and involved for us to get a course out before Christmas. We also felt that shorter more brand specific courses might be a better choice for those having interest in only one particular brand. So, we decided to make a series of smaller courses beginning with the Hermle movements since this is the most common and asked about movement. The Hermle course should end up running between 3 to 4 hours of video and animation. William has pretty much completed the filming which turned out excellent and, as he mentioned, I’m in the process of inserting animation and drawings in the appropriate places to help support the video content and hopefully make things a bit clearer where needed. The editing process should take another week or so and then begins the setting up of the course structure where the courses will be available to purchase and access online.

After launching the first Hermle course we will then tackle the other brands such as British Anvil, Kienenger, Urgos, Jauch and more. Much of the video and animation is already completed for these brands as well so they should follow the Hermle course in short order. All of these courses will cover disassembly, complete explanation of how the chiming and auto correction mechanism functions, assembly and exactly how to set the chime and auto correction up for single and triple chime. Trouble shooting and repair technique videos covering these movements are also planned to follow.

As William also mentioned time is very hard to come by for both of us right now. Williams ever growing clock repair backlog claims many hours of his day, 7 days a week (he’s a machine) and in my case the demands of a long term project consume much of my time.

Hopefully we’ll have the Hermle course up and running before Christmas. We’ll keep all posted up here and will also email many of the members when it’s completed.

Thanks again for the interest!
                    Bob

gerene
                    Participant

I appreciate the effort and am looking forward to see the results of a lot of work. I am certain that it will help everyone on this forum .

Bob Tascione

Thanks Jan,
                        The course should be very helpful for those starting out as well as intermediate level clockmakers who may be struggling a little with the theory and set up of the auto correction and chiming mechs. For others up here like Bernie, Daryn, Paul etc. doing clock repair full time it’s something they learned long ago and not something they need to purchase. Good for review though. Working with William on the course has helped me understand better and appreciate the subtle differences is design between the different mechanisms that I never gave much thought to in the past.
                        Take care way over there Jan,
                        Bob

bernie weishapl
                        Participant

Bob is right. On a Hermle movement I can setup the auto correct on those is about 5 to 10 minutes. I have seen many different kinds of auto corrects over the 30 yrs or so servicing clocks. I just had a unique auto correct on a Jacques 6 tubular chime movement. It took me a minute to figure that one out plus the chime sequence was a bear also. It will be good to have a course on setting these up for the newer clock repairman.

jdp020351
                          Participant

I too have been confused on how the chime and strike Mechanism works and am looking forward to the new course.
                            Thanks for putting all the effort and time into this Anticipated course.

Have a great Holiday
                            Jerry

tictock
                            Participant
                              spwilbur
                              Participant

Guys, this is great news! I’m looking forward to this video series.

Henry, thanks for the link.

-steve-

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.