Home Forums General Discussion Forum Howard Miller

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    fcporto50
    Participant

I have just adoptyed a 7 year old howard Miller.Works great.I wanted to oil the movement.I couldn’t remove the hour hand.I wanted to take the dial out but I didn’t want to damage it.Would a crow bar be the right tool to use to remove the hour hand?

willofiam

@fcporto5/0 wrote:

Would a crow bar be the right tool to use to remove the hour hand?

with a big sledgehammer 😆 I hear yah, they can be tough to get off. There is a thread here somewhere about getting hands off a smaller clock, the same techniques and solution can be used. You have probably tried firmly grasping the hand at the center and twisting / pulling at the same time. These hour hands most likely have a split collet, friction fit on a tapered tube. When they are gummed up or way too tight it just takes a little more “careful” force. Have a look at other threads on the subject, youll get it….be careful not to damage your dial….William

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Like William said most of the clocks hour hand are just friction fit with a split collet. I generally get a hold of them and twist gently from side to side while pulling at the same time. Some can be a pain but most will come off. You could put a little penetrating oil on it and let it sit for awhile then try it. Wipe it down when it comes off. I have some hand removal tools kinda like a miniature crow bar but make sure you put something down on the dial so you don’t damage it. I use a piece of leather with a V cut in it to put under the hand to cover the dial.

tukat44
          Participant

William and Bernie once again have given EXCELLENT advice. I took a movement down at a customer’s house, and I had the same problem- solved with a “crow bar” or for my purposes, a lever, (a pair of them each about three inches long), made out of a piece of 1/4″ brass rod and carefully filed into a cup shape at the end, then used a piece of stout cardboard between the hands and the clock face, used a couple flat wooden shims when I needed a little more lift, and was successful removing them without leaving any trace that I worked there. Take your time, think it through and you should be okay- Good Luck. Regards, Tukat

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.