Home Forums General Discussion Forum Howard Miller, 340-020, mantel clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ewinrow
    Participant

Local cheep pk-up has landed me another HW, mantel clock. Runs for about 2 to 3 hours and then decides to stop. Chimes when it pleases even after resetting it. I am now looking into the balance wheel cause bushings don’t seem to be needed. I have already tore it down and cleaned and oiled it and now problems seem to be popping-up. Case and movement are like new with no signs of bearing wear. Before I tear into it does anyone have any suggestions on what may be????? Thanks to Bernie, I have plenty of knowledge on teardown and assembly on this particular movement but again I am discombobulated being unable to locate the problem.. :? Looking for as much input on this movement as I can get. I have never had a good day with this beast! 👿 In advance, thanks guy’s gal’s. Ed.

mclark3617
      Participant

Ill be watching this post close as it looks the same as the seth thomas im working on. I took the balance assemble off and did a few tests first, used a blower and got it spinning real good and it spun on its own for about three and a half minutes, so my next step is teardown and clean and oil. The one i have wont run at all, if i apply pressure to one of the wheels in the train the balance takes off, other than that, nothing. Good luck

ewinrow
        Participant

@Mclark3617 wrote:

Ill be watching this post close as it looks the same as the Seth Thomas I’m working on.

Hey Mclark3617, This particular movement has been a pain in my pASS. Even though I have even received the very same movement from a member for a learning purpose, this particular movement to me, sucks. I avoid buying any clock that has this movement in it. It’s either the chime side or time side that acts-up. I have limited knowledge on this one also, I like weight driven clocks and don’t be fooled, I am not an expert on these either. But I am able to carry my own on these as I am with pocket watches and wrist watches. I just adore grand mother/father clocks. Now don’t let this discourage you, because their are many folks who can straighten you/me right out. Stick and stay, we’ll both make out 100%. ;) As I continue to drive for stride on my downer piece I still look for the most insight problems. This 340-020 Hermle movement BUCKS!!! :) Were both in very good company with very smart people. My view, stick and stay, I have overcome many issues with the help of others. People here seem to be genuine and truthful, funny at times but not misleading and friendly. I thank them all. :mrgreen: 8-) Ed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.