Home Forums General Discussion Forum how to take apart a smiths empire watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    showaddywaddy
    Participant

hi when taking apart a full plate watch do i remove the balance first or take it off with the plate

Bob Tascione

Hi Showaddywaddy,
        If I’m going to be doing an overhaul ie: cleaning etc. I always remove the balance assembly immediately and get it in a safe place.
        Hope this helps,
        Bob

showaddywaddy
        Participant

thanks bob your a gentle man, bob if you could make some pocket watch pivot locater’s they would sell well i will be the first to buy some if you make them Noel

david pierce
          Participant

And a scholar.

tmac1956
            Participant

and a psychologist ;)

willofiam

The friendly supportive fatherly type

Bob Tascione

😳
                  Thanks guys!!
                  Bob

arutha
                  Participant

If the pivots and pivot holes are in good condition the pivots almost go in by themselves when re-fitting the top plate but if they don’t a very fine pair of tweezers help a lot.
                    When I started in horology I was so frustrated by the lack of help, most horologists are a mean miserable bunch, well most of the ones I have come across, Bob Tascione is one of the few great horologists that will unselfishly give up his time to help out on advice and get you through a problem, so here is another vote to say – “That Bob Tascione, what a guy” :)
                    Paul.

showaddywaddy
                    Participant

your right Paul a very helpfully and knowledgeable person i have learnt a lot without bob i wouldn’t be able to do anything with my watches its good to be able to ask a question and have it answered in a professional way thanks bob noel

catskillpainter
                      Participant

@Arutha wrote:

When I started in horology I was so frustrated by the lack of help, most horologists are a mean miserable bunch, well most of the ones I have come across
                        Paul.

😆 Ain’t that the truth ? At least it can seem that way. I love to read the NAWCC boards just for the epic flame-outs. Artists are just as bad – they’re not all left handed, but their compliments are :D

david pierce
                        Participant

Cat,
                          Have you ever considered putting your artist skils to task and take up metal hand engraving?
                          david

catskillpainter
                          Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Cat,
                            Have you ever considered putting your artist skils to task and take up metal hand engraving?
                            david

Honestly, I haven’t, but it’s an interesting idea. My artwork is a little different. If you’d like to see it, take a look at catskillpainter.com ( sorry for the shameless plug ) . I’m not sure how well it would translate, but I have been refinishing, re-inventing, and repainting clock cases. I’ve also been designing clock dials that I can print. I do a bit of wood carving also ( mostly basic stuff for my cuckoo clocks ).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.