Home Forums General Discussion Forum How to remove mainsprings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    khoward279
    Participant

Hi everyone,
      It’s been awhile. I have a new shop and things have been hectic. I have recently taken on a couple of clocks for a customer that have presented problems for a newbie. I’m attaching a photo of a Seth Thomas no.124 movement. My question is if the mainspring barrels are riveted to the plate how do I safely remove the springs? So far so good but I think I picked a movement that is awfully complicated for me. It needs 6 bushings and a good cleaning and hopefully a problem free assembly. Thanks for any help.
      Kevin

stevefitzwater
      Participant

going to tell you how I would proceed, you can decide if you would, or wait for others advice..

get a blank mainspring arbor ( I used an old Sessions movement that I had designated as a parts movement, I turned the hook around on one arbor so I could do both left and right wind (used a propane torch, and heated it up, it turned very easy, do not overheat it).

Using the blank arbor, wind the springs up so you can get a retention spring on the edge, then reverse the procedure to re-install.

– make sure you leave a tab sticking out of the ring for winder tool to grab the tab.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.