Home Forums General Discussion Forum how to let down mainspring w/ this movement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    watchthebear
    Participant

Hi folks, Charles kindly posted this link: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&136&2uswk&Baumgartner_34 .I have another question: how do you let down the main spring w/ this setup. I looked up the detailed drawings in “Practical Watch Repairing”, but there is no explanation of how this type of set/wind action works. i have about 10 watches open to this point. they all have the “click” (or whatever the proper name is) locked in between the 2 gears, and it won’t move. does anyone have any info, perhaps a link, as to how this method works, as opposed to that featured in Bob’s videos? any help would be greatly appreciated…………..b

Bob Tascione

Hey that’s a good question B to which I have no answer!
        I’ll give it some thought to see if the wheels (in my head) start turning and jog my memory. From first glance I suppose you could always remove the piece but I’m pretty sure that’s not what the designer had in mind.
        Maybe someone else knows and will post the answer up here tonight. If not maybe a good nights sleep will work it’s magic on me and I can post something up here tomorrow morning.

Bob

c.kelly
        Participant

I have never dealt with this movement however it appears as if you should try to wind movement just a bit and watch spring. When it disengages from teeth of winding gear hold it there and then let crown gently unwind. I know it looks like there isn’t room for that to happen but the spring has to unlock otherwise watch can’t be wound in the first place. If that does’t work maybe Bob will have better answer.
          Charles K

watchthebear
          Participant

Thanks for the input Charles. this is part of a batch of about 12-15 watches that are all fully-wound, They won’t budge. All the watches i have that are in need of repair, that will work in the “wind” position, do not have that type of “click” assembly. there are some great drawings in “Practical Watch Repairing”, but the author doesn’t spend one sentence describing how it is intended to work. I am developing an idea, which may be all wrong, but I’ll try it out. Since these types of “motion works” are mainly on inexpensive watches, maybe they are not intended to be cleaned separatly from the plates. This is probably all wrong, but it makes a kind of sense to me. I have taken 2 of the assemblys apart, and they are so flimsy I don’t know if they would even stay still in the cleaner. thanks again. take care all………b

Bob Tascione

Hi B,
              Well that’s not good because what Charles came up with is what I decided on too! :D
              Back to the think tank!
              Bob
              Edit: I just looked at your post again B. If you’re not able to turn the stem a bit then you may just want to remove the click and then let the stem or let down key spin down slowly.

c.kelly
              Participant

Bobs last suggestion was my next. However It might also be possible to loosen screw that holds that long curved spring a bit without removing it. Then it might be possible to pry tail end up just enough to free winding gears while holding crown back. This is one of the reasons I enjoy this sort of thing. Trying to figure out something you aren’t sure about gives a great sense of enjoyment when you try something and it works. Almost makes me want to find one of those movements so I can give it a try myself.
                Charles

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.