Home Forums General Discussion Forum How To Hold A Pallet Fork

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    chris mabbott
    Participant

Hey Bob, thanks for the pics, that is like mine, I’ll have to double check to see if the staff is a screw in type but it probably is..

OK, I have another kinda daft question, but my excuse is Monday ;)

I remove the staff, I need to remove .02mm less than a hair. I have one shot on the lathe using a graver, if I mess up, game over.
      IF I had the jacot style pivot attachment for the tailstock, I would be able to accurately file it on the gauge gaps to a predetermined size.

I can’t use the lathe, so I need to use the jacot, any ideas on how to hold a staff only on the JT ? :?

Bob Tascione

Hi Chris,
        I think you had a pretty good idea when you mentioned using an old watch gear as a carrier. Works well and is a quick setup. If you don’t have a perfect press fit then you can use a removable adhesive, shellac or even a bit of Rodico etc. As for turning such a small amount down with a graver I’m with you. I would just grind/lap it in with some course oil stone dust and then move to a finer dust to polish it up.
        I should probably add that using abrasive powders consistently on a Jacot tool isn’t a universally acceptable procedure. Not really good for the tool. Using a pivot file and then a hard stone like a jasper stone for polishing is probably more common. I’m just kind of set in my ways so you decide what’s best for you.

Have fun Chris!
        Bob

chris mabbott
        Participant

Good idea Bob, I think I will give that a shot as good option #1 of 2 😆

I’ll let you know if it was fun, or throwing things on the floor and jumping on them, once it’s done :?

chris mabbott
          Participant

Bob, I agree 100%, I never use abrasives on the burnisher when using the JT, just the pivot file. In fact, I try not to use too much back and forth movement at all when filing down as I feel i’m removing material from the tool.

What I do use, and I personally feel that it’s the gentler method for the tool, is that I apply a small amount of fine abrasive power on to a leather buff stick, then I just firmly press the pliable stick into the pivot, so the majority of the movement is located on the pivot and not the tool ways..

I don’t know if this is an acceptable method but it works well for me, and without the attachment for the lathe, I’m somewhat limited in choices.
            Thanks for the extra input buddy.. :)

randy
            Participant

Chris.
              If you have a fine burnishing file..you might just be able to reduce the small amount without risk, either of removing too much, or the risk associated with any abrasives.

Just like cutting a staff, leaving the rough dimensions just a hair large ,..and then burnishing it to the final dimension
              I think that once you figure out how to hold it, you’re on your way to success.

In addition to Bob’s suggestions, I’ve read where some folks have created a carrier out of a small, thin piece of brass…punched a hole in it, and then superglued the arbor/ staff. etc. into it.
              One guys claims to have thrown out his Bergeon carriers after he learned this.

I just couldn’t stay out of this discussion…and good luck bud. !

chris mabbott
              Participant

Thanks Randy, any idea where he tossed those Bergeon carriers 😆

I think I’m going to try and shellac it onto an old wheel that is large enough to clear the jewelry. I’ll have to make up a different carrier but the is less pain than taking apart the fork and trying to get it back into the exact position, something I’m trying to avoid like…. Ebola :?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.