Home Forums General Discussion Forum how many jewels in my watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    showaddywaddy
    Participant

,hi how can i tell by looking at a pocket watch movement how many jewels are in it if not marked on plate

tmac1956
      Participant

showaddywaddy:

When you take a watch apart you will see that (typically) every jewel you see on the top plate has a mate on the bottom plate. The balance staff has a double jewel affair with a hole jewel and a cap jewel, so you would have two on top and two on the bottom. I’m sure there are exceptions to this, but as a general rule you could count them that way.

Caveat: Others here know much more than me – I’ve only worked on very old pocket watches. :)

Thanks!
        Tom

showaddywaddy
        Participant

thanks tom i have another question i got a Russian locomotive pocket watch i replaced all of the clutch parts it keeps perfect time but when i put it in my watch drawer it stops with in a minute my other watches are fine :?:

david pierce
          Participant

Show,
            I am currendly working on a wristwatch that would run for a few minutes and then stop. I would rock the watch back and forth and it would start again and then stop. After pulling the movement out of the case and looking at it under a microscope I noticed that there was no lubrication on the balance wheel pivots, or any of the other pivots for that matter. This may not be the problem with your watch but it would be a good place to start looking.
            Did you ever get your demabnatizer working?
            david

showaddywaddy
            Participant

hi David yes i did it works grate its very strong it will demagnetize anything best ever, you are right about the lubrication i did not clean or oil it i repaired 3 watches on Saturday morning and had a very bad headache from the loops i will clean them tomorrow thanks again David

david pierce
              Participant

Show,
                What I use most of the time to look at watch movements and parts are a pair of high magnatification el-cheapo reading glasses and an AMSCOPE BINOCULAR MICROSCOPE. The most powerful eye loupe I know of is a SEITZ 20X loupe and is not only extremely expensive but is also virtually unworkable because it is mounted to your head. As the power increases the depth of field decreases and the slightest head movement will throw it out of focus. The AMSCOPE BINOCULAR MICROSCOPE has a rotating lens system that offers 20X and 40X. I will occasionally use a loupe for a quick look at something but for long periods I prefer the reading glasses and microscope.
                How did you ultimately solve the voltage reduction problem?
                david

showaddywaddy
                Participant

i will try that David thanks i got a 50 watt voltage converter from 230 watt to 110 works fine what watches have you got do you repair them regularly i buy pocket watches from Bulgaria broken ones i find what’s wrong with them then buy another one and repair them that way the site is auction.bg you should try it there prices are less than half what you would pay anywhere else

david pierce
                  Participant

Show,
                    Is that the auction site for the watches? It looks like the picture of a house to me.
                    I do not have a lot of spare time due to my job but every now and then I will work on a watch. I do not have any plans to start a watch repair business in the future but I enjoy this as a hobby and a learning experience. I mostly enjoy working on smaller watches but to do this I had to invest in equipment that probably would not be necessary for the larger pocket watches and clocks. Seeing the smaller parts, manupilating the small parts and accutately measuring small parts throws everything into a different paradigm. I joined the NAWCC in my area but so far it has been a dissapointment. Issues concerning the repair of clocks is almost never discussed and the repair of watches is never discussed. The president of the chapter is a woman who I do not believe ever picked up a screwdriver in her entire life. Watches are not even mentioned at these meetings.
                    david

showaddywaddy
                    Participant

the house is to show how cheap things are in Bulgaria it is the watch site you can buy an needle or an watch or a gun or a house as you can see

tmac1956
                      Participant

@david pierce wrote:

Show,
                        Is that the auction site for the watches? It looks like the picture of a house to me.
                        I do not have a lot of spare time due to my job but every now and then I will work on a watch. I do not have any plans to start a watch repair business in the future but I enjoy this as a hobby and a learning experience. I mostly enjoy working on smaller watches but to do this I had to invest in equipment that probably would not be necessary for the larger pocket watches and clocks. Seeing the smaller parts, manupilating the small parts and accutately measuring small parts throws everything into a different paradigm. I joined the NAWCC in my area but so far it has been a dissapointment. Issues concerning the repair of clocks is almost never discussed and the repair of watches is never discussed. The president of the chapter is a woman who I do not believe ever picked up a screwdriver in her entire life. Watches are not even mentioned at these meetings.
                        david

david:

I’ll bet that is rather typical of NAWCC chapters.

Thanks!
                        Tom

achipo
                        Participant

I just relocated to the Bay Area in northern California, and was pleased to find several active NAWCC chapters. I’ve gone to a meeting of one chapter, and there is a good mix of clock and watch folks, all collectors, some tinkerers. A pleasant surprise.

david pierce
                          Participant

Achipo,
                            Maby it was not what I expected. I was hoping for demonstrations on repairing watches, discussions on how to make watch and clock parts, how to use various watch tools and machines; Instead it is conducted as a civic club. The president of our chapter does not seem to have any knowledge or interest in clocks and watches. I feel at this point that attending the meetings has been a waste of my time.
                            david

achipo
                            Participant

David,
                              I’d heard that about the Portland chapter. There are 4 chapters in the area and the rotate so there’s a meet and meeting somewhere close every week. The meeting I went to was chaired by a local clock shop owner who is very much hands on and enjoys sharing his knowledge. The presentation topic was non-technical (IRS rules for hobbyists and/or business owners). Not sure of the other topics. We’ll see.

Anyway, I was encouraged.

Evan

david pierce
                              Participant

Achipo,
                                Please keep the rest of us posted. All of the meetings I attended had lengthly discussions on tax codes, charitable contributions, civic obligations and many other topics of discussion I had no interest in. I hope things work out better for you.
                                david

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.