Home Forums General Discussion Forum How do you clean lacquer plates that are flaking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    johansenw
    Participant

I’m working on my first clock and the problem I have encountered is the clock was sprayed with wd40. I took the clock apart and after inspecting the plates I noticed the lacquer is flaking off in small and medium flakes. I have springs in the barrel and the winding post comes through the plate and you have the click and the gear for the click mounted on the other side of the plat, so when I disassembled the clock completely and I can see a perfect outline of the gear for the click assembly on the plate. Question is how do I clean the plates? Do I leave in in the altrasonic cleaner longer to remove the lacquer or do I clean for 1 to 2 minutes and brush off the flakes.

arutha
      Participant

If you are using an ammoniated cleaning solution then leave it long enough and it will remove the lacquer. If not, nail varnish remover should get it off pretty quickly. Modern brass does not suffer the effects of ammonia like the old cast brass does.
        Paul.

johansenw
        Participant

Paul thanks for the info. will give that a try.

William

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.