Home Forums General Discussion Forum How can I make a tiny compression spring?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

Well done Doug, thats a another useful bit of information stored away. I just hope I can pull it back out when I need it!
      Paul.

bernie weishapl
      Participant

Well done and some good info.

Bob Tascione

Hi Doug,
          This compression spring topic sure turned into an interesting and helpful thread. I’m glad you started it!

Hey Ren that’s a cool tool!

Thanks,
          Bob

cazclocker
          Participant

Hi, hey thank you guys for the good feedback. The tiny spring I needed to create was absolutely essential to make my English-made Watson-Keeless gravity clock run properly. Well actually, the spring wasn’t so much to make the clock run per se, as it was to allow the clock to rewind while manually lifting the clock’s body vertically along the guide rails to its topmost position. See my pictures:

I’ve got the clock purring like a kitten now.

I spent some time looking at the link that Ren provided. As nearly as I can tell, I think the article he’s referring to is in Issue #19, page 32. Here’s a direct link: https://www.modelenginebuilder.com/issuenineteen.htm . I’m not a subscriber to that magazine, but apparently you can get back issues for $8.00 US (print copies) or $6.00 US (downloadable digital copies). Ren, can you say whether or not issue #19, page 32, is indeed the issue you’re referring to?
            …Doug in Arizona

namonllor1953
            Participant

Yes it is Doug, that’s the right information.

As a modelmaker/tinkerer, the tool has proven invaluable

cazclocker
              Participant

@namonllor1953 wrote:

Yes it is Doug, that’s the right information.

As a modelmaker/tinkerer, the tool has proven invaluable

Thanks for the confirmation, Ren. I will order a copy forthwith! Never too many design plans…
                …Doug

namonllor1953
                Participant

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

chris mabbott
                  Participant

I’ve been trying to find this link as this is how I make a spring, on the rare times I need one… If you have a lathe, even a watchmakers, it’s an easy process…HOW TO MAKE A SPRING

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

Pretty cool. I have made several springs this way. Had a old machine shop guy show me how to do it. It actually works quite well.

cazclocker
                      Participant

@Chris Mabbott wrote:

I’ve been trying to find this link as this is how I make a spring, on the rare times I need one… If you have a lathe, even a watchmakers, it’s an easy process…HOW TO MAKE A SPRING

Thank you for sharing that, Chris! :) That is a VERY cool method for making springs. Like Bernie, I don’t need to make a spring very often, but it’s nice to have a method that works for those times when it comes up.
                        …Doug

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.