Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hermle Floating Balance

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stevefitzwater
    Participant

one of the clocks I recently started to service has a Hermle Floating balance, and the owner soaked it in oil, the entire movement is covered in clock oil, so I am wondering the best way to clean the balance? Should I use the normal my normal water based cleaning solution or perhaps use my watch cleaner?

It is out of a Mantle clock, a Hermle 1050-021 movement, who ever serviced it last did some damage to the movement, so I will be spending time working on this movement.

Thanks in advance

willofiam

Hey Steve, I use the watch cleaner, might want to use old cleaning solution first if its caked with oil, main thing is to be gentle and not mess up the coiled suspension spring. A close look into the jeweled area on the balance will reveal gunk and grime, also look for rust or wear on the pivot wire. Hope this helps, have fun, William

stevefitzwater
        Participant

Thanks Will!

dave booth
          Participant

That floating balance mechanism wants to be spotlessly clean and dry – completely free of any oil. You may need to give it a quick final dip in a serious degreaser. like acetone, to cut anything left behind by the cleaners. I have a couple of ounces of 1-1-1 Trichlorethylene and about the same amount of Carbon Tetrachloride that I hoarded when the Fed announced they were going to make them illegal. If you have either of those nasties in your bag of tricks, now is the time to haul one of them out. Just be darned careful with them – they really are every bit as dangerous and environmentally ugly as the government makes them out to be.

bernie weishapl
            Participant

I have had several come in like that. Like William said check the wire and jewel. Then I clean them with carb cleaner first then I clean them in one dip. I have the one dip in a jar in which I put the floating balance. I then put it in a ultrasonic with some water in it. It cleans extremely well, the one dip is a excellent degreaser and will dry without any residue. Normally I just swish balances, hair springs, etc in the jar because most have not been soaked in oil.

dave booth
              Participant

The only one I ever encountered that really gave me a fit was one the owner had tried to fix by squirting everything in sight with WD-40. That stuff is insidious! That was one for which I broke out the trichlor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.