Hermle 340-020 balance unit broken

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hermle 340-020 balance unit broken

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    imported_roberthorneman
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 3
    • Total Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am new to clock repair, I have a Hermle 340-020. The very small wire on top of the balance unit is broken. What options do I have? Can it be fixed? Where can I find a replacement?
    Thanks

willofiam
    • Topics Started: 75
    • Total Posts: 1437

Hello roberthorneman, good to see you here. Are you talking about the coiled spring or the wire that runs vertically thru the shaft attached to the balance wheel? A photo would help.

imported_roberthorneman
    Participant

The wire at the top of the unit is broken. I guess my photo is too big.

willofiam
    • Topics Started: 75
    • Total Posts: 1437

Yes, you have to resize your photos before uploading them. I usually resize to approx. 600 x 450. The wire can be replaced. Music wire (steel spring wire) or possibly guitar string…as long as the diameter is the same and it is a hard wire with a smooth surface. As for purchasing a new balance I think most supply houses would sell them though it would depend on the style you have.

imported_roberthorneman
    Participant

Sorry to be so late replying. I got replacement wire from Timesavers.Very easy job to replace the broken wire. Mark Butterworth has Hairspring balance for $25.00.

bernie weishapl
    Participant
    • Topics Started: 58
    • Total Posts: 1218

Like William said and you have found out they are easy to fix. One thing to do is use a good loupe and check the jewels at both ends of the tubes to make sure neither is cracked. I always clean them with One Dip which dries clean and leaves no residue. By the way I use guitar wire to repair any that come in here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
imported_roberthornemanHermle 340-020 balance unit broken