Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hermle 1050-020 Movement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stevefitzwater
    Participant

Ok, this is my next clock to work on, triple movement, triple chime…

Can anyone suggest a good book to use as a reference before I tear these beast apart, it has a balance, so right there I am putting it into low gear to approach it slow…

HALP! LOL

bernie weishapl
      Participant

This book is a great one if you can find one like this. http://www.mooreclocks.com/products/hermle-service-manual-fifth-edition-in-clock-repair.html

I have one and used to use it all the time but have did so many of them they are simple. If you can’t get one take pictures as you go is the best I can say.

stevefitzwater
        Participant

Good God Bernie… what are you doing up at this hour??? I thought I was the only night owl around here this late!

bernie weishapl
          Participant

We had a bad thunderstorm going on so unplugged all the computers and hardware except for my laptop. Can’t sleep when they talk about possible tornado’s in the area. 😆 Normally I would have been gone by then. :D I generally am in bed by 10:30 pm MST and up at 5:30 am.

stevefitzwater
            Participant

Too early in the year for that stuff!!!!

Yeah, the wife is excited about all this warm weather, I keep telling her, “yeah it is nice, but we are going to have a lot more tornados”

Other night about 3 am I had a message go off on my cell phone, set off the vibrate alarm for about 10 secs, then a voice said ‘lighting and hail reported near you”, about 3 mins later the hail hit..

A nice little app, the voice feature was a surprise and when your just waking up from a deep sleep, it kinda freaked me out..

anyhow, back on subject, I think I have that book, it is just the triple train and balance that has me freaked.. it is the father in laws, and I am tempted to purchase a second movement and play with it before I tackle his..

bernie weishapl
              Participant

If I were you I would do the opposite. I would buy a new movement and install it. Should be identical and only need the hammers adjusted to hit the rods. One little tidbit that you want to keep in mind is when you get in a new movement put a dab of oil on each pivot. I have had new movements come in from hermle and one or two pivots are dry. Never got oiled.

I would then play with the movement you take out. I surely wouldn’t mess with the new one. Usually I give the customer a choice to replace price with 2 yr warranty or repair price. I keep the better movements (ones with not so much wear) and sometimes will overhaul them if I have time. Makes it easy then when you have one come in that is trash or has been trashed by another shop. You would be surprised what I have gotten in from other shops. Some so bad that all I will do is replace or I won’t work on it. Just my $1.298. Put the new one in FIL’s clock and then you can work on disassembly, reassemble, polish pivots, clean, bush, oil, make adjustments, etc with the old one. Also another tidbit of info is do not clean the balance in a ultrasonic. I use one dip on them. If it is the older type of balance you can replace the wire that runs from the top side back thru the balance and ties down on the bottom back side.

Here are three good pieces of info on floating balance repair and adjustment. Hope this helps.

stevefitzwater
                Participant

Thanks Bernie!

Yeah I was reading through that book, and it says do not clean or service the floating balance, rather order a replacement…

I know what the problem is, it runs slow and my father in law likes to tinker, and he showed me a Seth Thomas mantle clock that he was proud he got running, I open the case and there was oil running on the gears, and every where else. I asked him if he oiled it and he said yeah, he used the oil from his grandfather clock and lubed it up. I just close the case and shook my head. So I have a feeling he oiled this movement too, so I imagine the pivots are full of dried oil.

I was actually thinking of buying a used or non working one and using it for a learner…

bernie weishapl
                  Participant

I gotcha. Yea Lots of those old boys thought oil and lots of it or WD40 would make them work which most times it did for a short period of time. Then when it came time to do a cleaning and repairs it was a bear to get cleaned. Most times I soak them in mineral spirits to soak and then clean with a toothbrush before putting them in the US. Here is one that looks pretty decent. http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-Miller-Hermle-Mantel-Clock-Movement-Triple-Chime-Bal-Wheel-Has-All-Parts-/121609128546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c50780a62 I would not pay over $50 for any of them because most aren’t worth fixing. They replace with a new movement and then stick the old ones on ebay trying to get $50 to $80 for one which is robbery as far as I am concerned. Here is another one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-1050-020-Howard-Miller-Brass-Clock-Westminster-Chime-Movement-E460-/191543711522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c98e51722 It says or best offer. I would offer him $40 shipped. See if he bites.

Just make sure you look the pictures over and make sure all the barrels, the FB, etc is all there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.