Home Forums General Discussion Forum Help Required

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    les458
    Participant

Hi, I sent this watch to a watchmaker ? last febuary, for a service it was returned to-day almost 3 months later. minus the second hand, i have a couple of second hands one of which may fit
      Problem is i can,t get the movement out of the case, I have pulled the stem and removed the two case screws, but the Bezel wont move it very tight, any help , suggestions most welcome
      Thanks Les

les458
      Participant

silverbackmg
        Participant

Ok Les, Let’s go through the steps. First remove both case screws. Next, There is a tiny little screw on the plate near the stem. Loosen that screw and remove the stem completely (Not just pull in out in the set position). Turn the dial face down in your hand and the movement should come right out. Give this a try and let me know. Good Luck, Ric

Bob Tascione

Hi Les,

Please forgive me but I’m going to ask the first really dumb question so far on the forum (I did mention that we should ask questions even if they seem dumb!) so here it goes…since the picture that I see is an edge on shot I can’t really see the movement…but
            Did you remove the bezel so that the movement can come out? It’s still on the watch in the pic.

If I’m way off it was still fun asking!

Bob

zach
            Participant

if all else fails you could remove the crystal if its a plastic crystal (doubt full on a watch of that qaulity) it would be very easy. But this option is the only one i could think of if the movement is immovable.

les458
              Participant

Hi could not get the last photo its here , also note the damage at 5oc on the returned
                watch, Ahh well thats life, Best regards Les

Bob Tascione

Hi Les,
                  I think that movement will drop out after you get that bezel off. Those pics help alot. I noticed some scratches along the edge of the bezel where others have tried to remove it in the past. As you probably are aware that’s something you see far too often. You see it alot on screw back watches where people were not aware that it might have been a screw back. For that reason I almost always try unscrewing the back and the bezel just in case…unless there is an obvious lip designed into it for a knife to fit. Most try to pry (snap) the bezel off right around the pendant using the pendant to leverage the knife against as it appears others have tried on your watch in the past. Not really a good idea as damage can be done to the pendant. I always look around the edge with a loupe to find the place for the knife to fit. It’s often that difficult to locate! Inserting the knife edge and pushing inward slightly is usually enought to “snap” it off. One thing that I suggest never doing (because I’ve done it more than once) is hitting the back of the knife with a small hammer. It does a pretty good job of popping off the bezel but the shock can easily break a balance pivot and or balance jewel on a non shock resistant watch…really…in fact it can even happen more than once if you’re a slow learner…again really, live and learn I guess.
                  Anyway, might make sure the case screws are in place before popping that bezel off just in case that movt. wants to jump out of there!
                  Good Luck Les!

Bob

les458
                  Participant

Hello, I managed to get the bezel off, for anyone with a similar problem this is how I did it, I got an industrial glove and a good strong pen knife, Held
                    The watch in the gloved hand put the knife in the bezel groove at 9oc and just increased pressure until
                    It popped, can now see the extent of damage, 😡 looks like it is now scrap gold

silverbackmg
                    Participant

Don’t give up on it yet Les. There is a company called International Dial. They can take that dial and make it look new again. Look them up on the net. It can get pricey at times. Ask them to call before they repair in order to give you a price quote. Good Luck, Ric

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.