Home Forums General Discussion Forum Help needed with stopping pocket watch in dial up position

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johnno
    Participant

I have just finished assembling this pocket watch and I have hit a small wall. Runs in the movement up position ie:

But when I turn it over so it’s dial up, it immediately stops running.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

johnno
      Participant

Wanted to add that I can’t see any obstruction of the hairspring or balance wheel in the dial up position.

Possible end shake problem?

jdp020351
        Participant

It’s possible that you have a broken pivot on the balance staff and/or a cracked or broken hole jewel.
          Jerry

johnno
          Participant

If it is a broken pivot causing the issue, then am I correct to assume that the only solution is a new balance pivot staff? Given the age of this watch I assume that would be an impossibility and leading to the end of the road for the watch? 

johnno
            Participant

Could this be the culprit?

Is it possible to straighten the pivot?

jdp020351
              Participant

Good Morning Johnno;
                Yes, that balance staff would be causing a problem, however, the bent pivot could have damaged the jewel as well and you would need to check that out also.
                I’ve tried twice to straighten a balance staff pivot. the first one broke right off, the second one was nearly straight but not perfect. the watch ran poor and I ended up replacing the balance staff later.
                There are several people out there on the web that sells parts for the vintage pocket watch.
                i’m a noobie at this hobby and have and still use Bob’s course (for years ) to fix my pocket watches as well as vintage clocks.

I hope that I was able to help
                Jerry

johnno
                Participant

Thanks, Jerry.
                  As I thought, the moment I tried to bend it back, and even with the smallest amount of pressure, it just snapped off. Oh well. Anyway, it’s still ticking happily away in the dial down position.
                  What to do? :?:
                  😥

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.