Home Forums General Discussion Forum Help needed with odd Elgin case

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    c.kelly
    Participant

Hi,
      I recently took in a couple of pocket watches to repair. One was a Tankard with a 17 jewel AS movement and the other was an Elgin lever set with a very odd case that I can’t figure out how to remove the movement. The front bezel screws right off but the back is very tight. I have looked under 20x microscope and I don’t think there is a back to remove as I can’t see a seam where it would be. On the front side there is no hinge for a swing out case nor any notch at 6:00 to lift up on the movement. The movement however is a bit loose in the case as if only the stem were holding it but isn’t loose enough to allow the movement to be removed. I will try to post some picture to see if anyone has any ideas. Also the back does not snap on as there is no groove for a knife to be inserted. While there does appear to be a seam in one of the pictures when I looked with the microscope I did not see a break in the plating all the way around the case. By the way I have tried to twist it off anyway, using barehand, then a gripper then latex gloves which kept my hand from slipping on the case but did cause the thumb on my other hand a lot of pain after several tries. Anyway if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate any and all.
      Thanks,
      Charles K

tmac1956
      Participant

Charles:

I’ve had this problem in the past. Judging from the amount of corrosion and dirt indicated in the pictures (assuming it’s not a snap-on case), I would say you might try the following:

1) Spray a small amount of PB Blaster on the joint and let it set.
        2) Use one of these on it for additional leverage:
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/VACUUM-WATCH-CASE-OPENER-MUST-HAVE-OPENS-STUCK-SCREW-ON-POCKET-WATCH-CASES-TOOL-/231927615468?hash=item35fff68fec:g:SNMAAOSwdGxXItzG

This worked like a charm for me.
        Later,
        Tom

c.kelly
        Participant

Hi,
          Thanks Tmac. I tried all that and case just seemed stuck tight. Finally my wife came up with the answer. She suggested that I try the hot melt glue again and this time glue it to her kitchen counter so I could push down a bit while turning it. Trick worked like a charm.
          Thanks,
          Charles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.