Home Forums General Discussion Forum Help needed to identify movement

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johnno
    Participant

I need to find a donor movement (looking for a balance wheel and balance staff). Can you help in trying to identify the movement? It’s a large size pocket watch with not a lot of info to go on I am afraid. The movement itself measures at 53.77mm.

randy
      Participant

Johnno.
        Looks to be a watch movement very similar to this.
        http://acquris.se/media/product.php?id=488&lang=en

Many manufacturers of the time may have used this ebauche, or movement style.

I would suggest fishing on Ebay and other sites for a watch with similar markings / size, movement layout.

Good luck !

Randy

johnno
        Participant

Thanks, Randy.

That’s an interesting site you linked to. I don’t suppose that is still for sale, I tried to follw the more info link but it came up with an “Object Eror”

Cheers
          John

johnno
          Participant

ps. Any idea how a remontoire works inside a pocket watch as I thought that was a system only used in clocks? Some kind of spring?

randy
            Participant

Johnno
              Here’s the answer I believe :
              Many French and Swiss pocketwatches after 1860 were stamped on the back with the word Remontoire. This merely meant that they didn’t have to be wound with a key (i.e. they were wound by the then-novel winding crown inside the pendant). Etymologically the term is correct, the mainspring is “rewound” by some other force than a key, but these watches usually do not contain a remontoire as the word is used today.[

johnno
              Participant

Excellent! Thank you kindly good sir. :)

randy
                Participant

My pleasure !!!

Randy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.