Home Forums General Discussion Forum heat from propane

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    watchthebear
    Participant

Hi all. I have watched Bob’s videos where he hardens (heat treats) and tempers steel when making tools. I’ve also watched Steffan Palchow (sp). Could propane be used to generate enough heat to do these jobs? Reason I’m asking: I have all the welding gear, but bottles went when I lost the ability to move them around, and take them to be filled. I have all the gear I need to grind out most things (I’ve done a lot of knife repair and restore), but heating and bending is so much less time consuming. I know i can grind, and restore the temper w/ propane, but that requires a lot of dipping the piece in water to keep it cool. Any help would be appeciated. Thanks for all the help and patience folks……….good luck………………….b

Bob Tascione

Hi B,
        Propane works well for me when dealing with watch parts and small tools…like the tools that were heat treated in the videos. When getting into larger tools or pieces of steel with large cross sections then would probably need to move to something hotter like Oxy-Acetylene etc.
        Hope this helps B,
        Enjoy!
        Bob

arutha
        Participant

I use a propane blow torch that uses those disposable canisters for certain soldering jobs or bluing. It all depends on the the size of the piece you are trying to heat and how neat a flame you need. Do a little experimenting, you will soon find out if you can work with it.
          paul.

watchthebear
          Participant

Hi all. thanks Bob and Paul for the good advice. It looks like the way to find out is do some experimenting. Most of what i want to do will be done w/ stainless; I have a good source of dental tools and I would like to do some modification. This may be a really dumb question, but could i use propane and oxygen together? I have a friend who has a 1/4 height bottle, which he will never use, and it is full. This weight i can manage. Thanks in advance for any more help. take care all……………………..b

arutha
            Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX4rGAOc0qc
              Found this guide on setting up a propane/oxygen system on youtube, might be of some help. I have no idea what you would use this for but hope it helps.
              Paul.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.