Home Forums General Discussion Forum Has anyone seen a case like this?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rozeerox
    Participant

I’d just like to start off with… I fixed my first watch yesterday! CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON!!
      ok now that i got that off my chest, I have a movement that can be fixed. it probably just needs a good clean. problem is it has no case, and I noticed that its not a key wind. It would use the case to wind it via the crown. That would all be well and good if the fitting of the case it needs werent so unusual… It is hinged at the 1 o’clock position but the wheel to wind it sits next to that at the 12 o’clock position!
      Iv never seen anything like it.
      So tell me now, is it worth fixing or am i just never gonna get a case for it so maybe i should use it for parts?
      Its odd because its case is like a fusee but its a mechanical watch… any clues?

digitaltripper
      Participant

Congratulations on your first watch repair!! I am sure there will be many more to come….

After further consideration….I am not sure what you have….We need a picture. But I am leaving what I first wrote, just in case this is what it is…..

Without a picture it is hard to say, but from your description, this sounds like a hunter case.

The hunter case and hunter movement are designed so that the lid opens sideways revealing the watch to be read without turning the watch in your hand. I hope this makes sense, as I am typing it seems hard to describe without seeing it…Here, a picture is worth a thousand words:

In the picture the watch is displaying a time of three o’clock. I hope this helps!!

Jim

arutha
        Participant

If the watch has no case then how do you know the hinge position is at 1 o’clock? I also would like to see a picture as I cant quite get my head around what you have.
          Well done on your first watch, its always a nice feeling when you make something work again :)
          Paul.

david pierce
          Participant

Roseerox,
            The dial feet and the location of the fourth wheel pivot determine whether the 12:00 position lines up with the stem or whether it is (in this case) located 90 degrees from the stem. If the movement fits in the case, it fits in the case. That is all the case is required to do.
            david

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.