Home Forums General Discussion Forum Happy with today’s jobs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    torsion
    Participant

My Derbyshire Magnus 10mm lathe came with a leaver tailstock, so I wanted to be able to fix a small Jacob chuck to it , well the original shaft was probably going to be next to useless, yes I could have turned a piece of steel down to fit the taper and turned a JT0 taper on the other end but I think the size needed it could of been prone to flexing .
      What I decided to do was replace the shaft with a length of 8mm tool steel, turn a JT0 on one end and turn the other end to fit leaver linkage, I turned both ends by hand using a graver ( mainly because I could not work out how many degrees to alter the cross slide by ) anyway as can be seen by the pictures it turned out very well, I am very happy with it.
      I also made a new tool rest for my bench grinder/ polisher because the original was not adjustable, so I have had a productive day on furlough.
      Dell

drichards
      Participant

Hello Dell
        Accurately turning a taper with a hand graver is
        something to be very proud of. That’s not an easy feat.
        Very impressive work!!
        Congratulations!

Best, Dean

torsion
        Participant

Thanks Dean
          The reason I had to do it with the graver was that I didn’t know how to work out what to set the cross slide to, I found this site http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html it gave me the dimensions of JT0 taper but that was it.
          I am happy how it turned out ( pun intended).
          Dell

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.