Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hand Bushing tools

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    john
    Participant

Hello, I am trying to purchase some hand bushing tools from suppliers and am getting confused.
      Does anyone have a suggestion on exactly what I need to get started in bushing an antique clock like a Seth Thomas Regulator 1 or 2 ?
      Reamer ? five sided file? what size files,what size of broach, Spade reamer for oil sink , bushing wire vs bushings , and what are the popular size bushings or wire to purchase?
      For instance in Merritts , they have a 7 piece hand held bushing tool set, a handle, 5 reamers and a chamfering tool. Would this be all that I need besides bushings ?

Thanks for any help…

Bob Tascione

Hi John,
        I like that tool. If you grab some bushings you’ll be set to go. I’ve used the one that Timesavers has that uses Bergeon bushings and it works great at http://www.clock-keys.com/pdf/wholecatalog/Part-3.pdf . I’m not saying it’s better than the KWM at all. Just very similar and worked well.
        Enjoy John!
        Bob

Bob Tascione

John,
          Sorry, I forgot to address the bushing sizes and broaches in my earlier post. Probably the bushing sizes for American clocks ( KWM set) would be L38 L41 and L44 with a range of cutting and smoothing broaches about 44, 52, 56 or 58. This should cover a large proportion of your average American clocks. Pivot sizes that fall between these bushings can be fitted by opening up a smaller bushing with a cutting broach to fit the pivot. Most of what you get in a large assortment won’t be used for a long time so your money will go a lot further if you purchase these more popular sizes in reasonable quantities rather than an assortment with only a few of each bushing.
          Hope this helps John,
          Bob

john
          Participant

Bob, thanks again ! That helps me out a lot. Great suggestions. For some reason after everything I have been reading, I thought I needed that Bergeopn kit as well as files, as well as a sapphire broach and I was getting overwhelmed with a basic start up, and providing the initial sizes to have on hand is very valuable to me. Thanks for always being there. John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.