Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hampden Pocket watch Pallet arbors help! Need!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bamadadof3
    Participant

I could really use a few Hampden 18 size pocket watch pallet arbors! I need the screw in type not the friction type. I would be interested in buying just the arbor or the complete pallet if you have any laying around. I will try and post a picture tonight of the type of pallet fork but basically it is the two piece NON-Mustache type that have the two screws on top.

Any help would be appreciated I have bought up all the parts Hampdens at all the parts shops so now I either need to find some or the Lathe will be the next purchase. LOL
      I would have already bought a lathe but funds are a little to tight right now. I have found out that to really get into watch/clock repair you have to learn the Lathe. The parts are becoming harder and harder to get and learning to re-pivot arbors is becoming a must.

Thanks for the consideration!

Glenn in Alabama.

chris mabbott
      Participant

Glenn,

Hampden pallet arbors come in many flavors, can you narrow it down a bit 😆

I have a couple of Hampden parts but first I need to know your serial number to check.. Then we can go from there..
        Are you collecting Hampdens?

bamadadof3
        Participant

The Hampden part # is 1014 from what I can find. I’ll get the serial number and models for you when I get home. I bought a big lot of broken Hampden PW and most just had broken balance staffs but several also have broken pallet arbor pivots and they are really hard to find. I have a couple of nice movements that all I need is arbors for to get them up and running to sell. It’s been a while since I researched but I think they only made two 18S arbors with threads but I might be wrong there. I do know I was sent one Hampden arbor threaded that was too short (the actual threaded end was too short) and I can’t find anything it will fit.

I have started collecting PW but I have started collect any brand with unique damasking. I really love the south bend 16S damasking on several of their models and have a couple Illinois Bunn models that started the whole addiction. I like Illinois the best I think with but I have a Waltham Vanguard 23 Jewel that I really love. Of course the ultimate goal will be to collect the best railroad grade watches with unique damasking like the Bunns and railroad specials and two-tone movements. Problem is it gets really expensive quickly. LOL

As you can see I am all over the place on collecting basically if it’s pretty I want it. Use to be pretty girls….. Now…. Its a disease,,,,

Thanks for reading my post and I’ll try and get you more info and a pic tonight.

bamadadof3
          Participant

I can tell you I have 2 model 4’s and a couple model 3’s that need parts. The one I want to really fix the most is a model 4 18S.

chris mabbott
            Participant

Oh yes, it definitely can become…. prohibitive :?

1014 is listed for a hunting movement, the 1013 is for an OF, not sure what the difference would be, or why they would list the same staff for both orientations, a formality I suppose.

You may also have an oddball that someone has modded another pallet fork to fit, which is actually what I’m having a prob with on a Hampden 18s.. It is also a model 4 but it has a model 3 type setup.. 😮
              Like you mention, parts are hard to find, correct parts even harder, so a repivot might be your best bet..

bamadadof3
              Participant

Chris you’re right about correct parts I think one of these has had the upper and lower pivot jewels replaced with a smaller size jewel because I had the right arbor but the pivot holes were to small. Talk about aggravation! I ended up having to pull the correct size jewel settings out of another parts movement to get it to work what a pain. I hated to do it because I wasn’t 100% sure they were the wrong settings and any future watchmaker might cuss at me for now putting in jewels that are to large but hey we do what we have to do! LOL

chris mabbott
                Participant

Glenn, it’s 6 of one, and half a dozen of the other, I think you’ve chosen the lesser of two evils, you have the correct arbor rather than going for a smaller pivot size, which is not correct for this 18s as the catalog part number confirms, and it’s power requirements and other factors that determine the pivot size, I think 🙄

Don’t worry about future watchmakers, they won’t know it’s you i’m sure ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.