Home Forums General Discussion Forum hamilton watch r/r 940 gr. 18s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kidneys59
    Participant

working on 18 s hamilton it’s a double roller with a bad staff. I’M trying to order one but don’t know if it is small collar or large one also pivot number on the one I’M ordering is 11.(126-sc-11) (126-lc-11) :?:

Bob Tascione

Hi Kidneys59 and welcome to the forum,
        It will be a couple of weeks more until I have access to my reference books but I do have a pdf file on my laptop which I’ve just uploaded to my site that may help. I’m posting the link to it below. The LC and SC should be for large collet and small collet. If you scroll down to where it says Hamilton 18s and look at the factory number column you will find 126. You will see under the column labeled HS (hairspring) the dimensions of .97 for LC and .77 for SC..you should be able to determine which staff you’ll need by checking for those collet dimensions on your old staff. I know the pivot sizes are a little different than what it shows in the chart but the collet dimensions should still apply.
        Here’s the link:

http://tascione.com/pdfs/American_Staff_dimensions.pdf

I hope this helps Kidneys59,
        Enjoy,
        Bob

david pierce
        Participant

Bob.
          I took an old pocket watch apart and it is missing the mainspring and mainspring arbor. I am getting better at disassembling, cleaning and reassembling these things but I do not know how or where to order the parts. The make of the watch is LOCUST. It appears to be a cheap watch by the standards of the time and I never heard of that brand before. Is it possible to get parts? Can other parts be substituted such as another mainspring? Where does one look for old watch parts? Let me know.
          David

Bob Tascione

Hi David,
            I was going to move this post under it’s own topic of Locust Pocket Watch rather than under this Hamilton topic but I really don’t have much to suggest here for you. Locust was a trade name that Didisheim (Swiss) used for their watches being exported to the United States. As far as I know most parts like a barrel arbor would need to be swapped out of an old parts movement. You may get lucky and find someone with some new/old stock. You might check with http://www.dashto.com to see if he has something you can use. If you had the old mainspring it would be fairly easy to find one that is near the same dimensions. I’ll look around a bit to see if I can dig up some info on their movements for you and will let you know if I find anything. If I do I’ll move our posts and start a new thread.
            Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.