Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hamilton Hoard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Well, I know this is kind of a shot in the dark, but I did research how much these watches would sell for after servicing, so I took a bit of a gamble. This will also be my entry into the world of Hamilton – three watches’ worth, to be exact. I ended up paying $345.00. Here’s the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381014419249?_trksid=p2059210.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Take care guys,

Tim

bernie weishapl
      Participant

I don’t think you will be hurt. Looks to me like you will have to get some dials repaired and I would put in new glass crystals if you are planning on selling them. I can tell you from my experience at least around here if the dials and crystals aren’t in immaculate condition they are not going to bring top dollar.

chris mabbott
        Participant

I agree with my esteemed colleague sir Bernard, a new dial and crystal will make a world of difference cosmetically. Nice little haul of Hammies :)
          The 992B is nice because it has the original Hamilton case which means that it was one of those that actually came from the Hamilton factory directly, unless someone added it, that we don’t know, but it still adds to the watch. This grade was in production from 1940 until Hamilton shut its doors in 1969.

The 992, IMHO is the more interesting as it’s an early model that uses the screwed in jewel settings, a lot more detail, design and thought went into the early watches. after the 1920’s it was mostly about production and trying to keep up with the Swiss steamroller.

You might be interested in this HAMILTON WATCH COMPANY – I’M A LINK

maitai11
          Participant

On dials, what’s the consensus? Replace, or repair?

I’m starting to move in the area of materials. Already, I need a dial screw, mainsprings, and possibly new dials.

Is there a place you prefer, and why?

Also, are there any parts assortments that are worth the money? Common staffs, screws, and the like? Please advise.

Thanks,

Tim

chris mabbott
            Participant

These dials seems ok, the 992B has a paper dial, these came into being during the 1920s as a cost effective measure. Honestly, they’re cheap and nasty BUT they are a part of this period watch, so they belong on there. You can’t really replace it with any random Hamilton dial as that would make it none original. You may find one of the rare porcelain dials, but the cost would be more than what you paid for the watch.
              This one still looks to be in decent shape, just don’t try to clean it or it will turn to pulp 😆
              Also, don’t put your dials, any dials, in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Here’s a real nasty paper replacement model that I’ve just changed out, from this example you can see that yours is pretty good, still..

bernie weishapl
              Participant

I agree with Chris. If it is a paper dial I would leave it as is and should have clarified my statement. If they are porcelain dials there are place that will repair them like new. Not cheap but you keep the dial that came with the watch. Be very careful as Chris said when cleaning any dial and know what you have. One like he has shown would be toast if someone tried to clean one.

maitai11
                Participant

Thanks guys. I’ll have to make this decision later…I’m up to my elbows in disassembly and cleaning. The dial is porcelain, and thank you for the great info on the paper dial!

Great advice guys, thank you!

Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.