Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hamilton 917 10s click spring…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

It looks like I need to make a click spring for a 10s 917 Hamilton pocket watch. What material do I need to use for this and where might I find it? I’m thinking I might be able to use a guitar string of about the 0.08 diameter.

Thanks!
      Tom

david pierce
      Participant

Tom,
        If it is simply a round spring, AISI 1086 also known as ASTM A228 or music wire would be the best material. This should not be confused with a guitar string which is a wire attached to a musical instrument. It has a hardness range of RC 41-60 and extremely high tinsile strength. For flat springs it looks like blue tempered 1095 would be a good choice.
        david

chris mabbott
        Participant

Hi Tom, welcome to click spring hell, I mean heaven 😆 I’ve had to make a few and had them flying through the air..

What I have used, and this is so simple that I thought about it by accident, I used some of those snap rings, you can get them in hardware stores in all sizes, it’s good spring steel and you can form it to the shape you want, just don’t get it too hot or it’ll loose its spring properties. I used a dremel and small files to make the ones I needed, the pain was trying to drill the .001mm hole.

I’ll be curious to hear what others have used..

Chris

randy
          Participant

If nothing else works Tom..you might find one in this assortment that you could modify

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product4003.html

tmac1956
            Participant

Randy:

I should be able to make one from these.

Thanks!
              Tom

randy
              Participant

You’re welcome Tom…and then you’ll have spares for other watches !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.