Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hamilton 16s question…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tmac1956
    Participant

All:

I’m servicing a 16s 17J “thin” profile pocket watch and I’ve hit a snag right off the bat. The case is a snap-off front and back type, so I removed both and then removed the case screws. When I try to ease out the movement in order to slide it off of the stem and thus out of the case, it gets far enough to come out but won’t come off of the stem. So I thought I would take some tweezers, grab hold of the winding stem, back off the crown, and then slide the movement out with the stem intact. Unfortunately, there isn’t sufficient room available to grab the stem and I don’t want to mar the case or movement trying. Additionally, I don’t want to damage the stem or other winding components in the attempt.

Ok… what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!
      Tom

randy
      Participant

Tom,
        “Normally” you should be able to just pull the crown up like you were going to set the hands, and it would allow enough room to let the movement swing and drop out.
        If it won’t go, can you remove the crown, and then use a sleeve wrench to back out the sleeve and then the stem from the case ?

Is it configured that way ???

tmac1956
        Participant

Randy:

There’s not enough room between the movement and the case to get hold of the stem in order to screw off the crown. I bent a good pair of tweezers trying to hold it enough do do that.

I might try putting some PB Blaster around the shaft to see if I can get it to release.

Any other ideas? I sure would hate the break something.

Thanks!
          Tom

chris mabbott
          Participant

Tom, I’ve had the same problem on some watches and I immediately thought that the stem might be too long 😆 If that’s the case, Randy’ suggestion would be the way to go.

Try and put the movement back into the case so it’s laying flat again, don’t put the screws in. Have a close look around both of the inner circumferences of the case and look for any burrs, or a small locating tab.

Also try to hold the movement over a soft landing area, vertically, stem at the 12 position, and gently manipulate the movement. This has sometimes worked for me and it can suddenly PLOP out, which is why I say, hold it over something soft, just in case..

Can you take a quick photo and post it?

Chris

Bob Tascione

Hi Tom,
              It sometimes takes a lot of wiggling and fidgeting while turning the crown back and forth to work a movement out a case. They usually end up coming out. In most cases after a final sleeve adjustment is made by a previous watchmaker the movement will be removed so that he or she could grasp the square to fasten the crown down onto the stem and THEN the movement is re-installed. So if it went in it should come out right. Not always the case though. The watchmaker may have had enough room to tilt the movement out a bit and reach in with a stout pair of tweezers and grab the the stem and have enough of a grip to add some type of adhesive to the thread and snug the crown down a little. If no adhesive was used then you should be able to find that same amount of space to reach into and possibly break the crown loose. Break as in release I mean! :)

Edit: I see that Chris was posting at the same time as I was…his suggestion about using a soft landing area is a GOOD one!

Bob

tmac1956
              Participant

Guys:

I finally got the movement out. With a diabetic syringe, I put a drop of PB Blaster onto the area where the stem enters the movement. I was then able to pull on the movement to get enough space between the movement and the case to get a pair of tweezers onto the stem. With that, I was able to screw off the crown. Interestingly, there is sleve in the case to adjust. Anyway, eventually I twisted the movement and pulled on it until the movement came out with stem intact.

Thanks everyone.
                Tom

david pierce
                Participant

Tom,
                  What is PD BLASTER?
                  david

tmac1956
                  Participant

david:

PB Blaster is a lubricant somewhat like WD 40, only a whole lot better.

Later,
                    Tom

Bob Tascione

Hey glad you got it out of there Tom.
                      My next suggestion was going to involve sledge hammer and saw so happy that all worked out ok. :D

Bob

chris mabbott
                      Participant

@Bob Tascione wrote:

Hey glad you got it out of there Tom.
                        My next suggestion was going to involve sledge hammer and saw so happy that all worked out ok. :D

Bob

Bob, I think I could provide a video tutorial of how to saw the case in half to remove the movement, if someone could then show how to put the case back together 😆

Chris

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.