Home Forums General Discussion Forum Hairspring question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    watchthebear
    Participant

Hello all! Here is the question: there is aproblem in the escapement but it does not appear to be the balance. So, I remove the balance and when I turn it upside down and put it down, the pivot and hairspring come to rest about 1/4-1/2″ away from the hole jewel. If I am careful I can move the staff back into the hole but it slips out usually. the spring is nice and concentric. Can this be fixed? Can the spring be bent right at the collet to move the center of the spring back over the jewel, and then the spring adjusted for the change at the other end (stud)? If it can be done I would like to try since the watches I am learning on are not worth buying parts for, and I would like to see one run again. Thanks for any help that might come this way. Stay well all…………….b

david pierce
      Participant

Bear,
        Are the cap jewels set properly? When the staff is in place, are only the cylindrical portions of the pinions in contact with the jewels? Rule out everything else before considering messing with a hair spring.
        david

watchthebear
        Participant

Hello all, I think I have doing this unless I don’t know what cylindrical means. I assume what is meant is the conical tapered point of the staff. I don’t know that I have seen many pivots that have parallel sides like those on the wheels. If any of the body of the staff is touching the jewel I assume that the pivot is shot/broken, or the jewel is cracked. So, my question still stands, now assuming that the pivots are good as well as the jewels. One caveat: some of the old pocket watches don’t have a bottom jewel. I guess in that case, the body of the staff would be resting on the pivot hole–at least some of the time……………..Thanks and take care all……………b

willofiam

Hey b, I think that pictures of what you are trying to describe would help out alot in your posts. William P.S. I think someone in the past has posted on how to get pics on here, have fun!

watchthebear
            Participant

Hello all, thanks for the ideas. I think you are right about the pictures. Most forums i am on or have been on, pix are the biggest hassle, Some folks that are good w/ this sort of thing fill the posts w/ pix. I agree, they tend to get answered, and the posts stay live longer. Guess I’ll have to see. Have a good evening all……stay well……………….hal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.